The Resource Management Panel provides a direct connection between project plans in Smartsheet and resource plans in Resource Management. From a Smartsheet project sheet, see who's been assigned to the project, request the types of people you need to complete each deliverable, and get a real-time preview of the impact of resourcing changes as you move through the project lifecycle.
About the Resource Management panel
It’s a two-step process to use the panel. First, authorize your account (one time only), then connect a project sheet to Resource Management.
After you connect the sheet to the Resource Management Panel, you can use the panel to see:
- People or placeholders assigned to tasks in your Resource Management project
- Overall allocation % for assigned users
- Overall availability for team members assigned to your project
- Dates for the overall project and individual assignments.
… and you can make assignment changes in the sheet.
Smartsheet panel for Resource Management preview
Update task assignments in the Resource Management panel
You can add or update task assignments using the Resource Management panel in Smartsheet.
Adding new assignments
To create a new assignment from Smartsheet, open the Resource Management panel and confirm the following is present in each row for the task you want to assign:
- Start and End dates
- Allocation %
- Valid managed user or Resource Management placeholder in the Assigned To column.
Once you have all the required information in your sheet, you'll see the new, unconfirmed assignments appear in the panel.
To add new assignments in the panel:
- Below the assignment, select Add.
- At the top of the panel, select Update All.
When you assign a row, the primary field (task name) for that row – along with assignees, allocation, and dates – will sync to the schedule showing the total allocation workload for each person.
Confirm your assignments and select the project name in the panel to go to your project brief.
In the panel, allocation is summed across multiple tasks. You will not see an entry for individual rows.
You can update a person's assignments or remove them from the panel if they have no assignments.
- Open the panel.
- Adjust the assigned user in the Assigned To column.
- Review your changes in the panel. Select Add on the assignment or Update All to submit the changes to your project.
Your sheet saves when you submit your changes, but you may need to refresh the Resource Management schedule to see your changes.
The panel recognizes assignments with 0% allocation. To add these assignments to Resource Management, select Add next to the assignment or Update All to commit all changes.
Remove unassigned resources
Removing unassigned people also removes duplicate tasks generated during bulk task reassignments and helps keep your project plan clean and up to date.
Remove appears when a duration, start or end date, allocation, or assignee is missing from the assignment in the sheet.
- To remove an individual resource, select Remove to the right of the person's name.
- To remove resources in bulk, click the Update All button at the top of the panel.
If you remove an assignment from Resource Management, the panel will automatically remove the assignment from the panel.