Streamline your work and simplify working together with easy-to-navigate apps built directly from sheets, forms, and more with WorkApps. Unify your entire solution with a secure, scalable app customized for your business.
Collaborate and Streamline Your Work with WorkApps by Smartsheet
With WorkApps, you can create dynamic applications to help coworkers and stakeholders easily access and review sheets, reports, forms, dashboards, and external URLs. Use WorkApps to streamline your work and simplify collaboration.
You can manage stakeholder permissions to each item within the app, helping them stay organized with the most relevant content and information.
Before You Begin
WorkApps is currently in preview. If you would like to learn more about gaining access to WorkApps, please visit the WorkApps capability page on the Smartsheet website.
Create and edit WorkApps
Create a WorkApp
- Navigate to https://workapps.smartsheet.com and log in with your Smartsheet credentials.
- Select Create from the upper-right corner of the home page.
- After entering a name for your app, select the Create button.
You’ll be taken to the WorkApps Builder where you can begin adding pages and tailoring the application to your stakeholders needs.
Edit an app
To an app, navigate to https://workapps.smartsheet.com and select the application you’d like to edit. You can also select the menu icon to open the editor in a new browser tab, delete the app, or view the app if you’ve already published it.
To exit the builder and select a different app to edit, select the WorkApps Home icon .
Add and edit pages
Select the Pages icon from the left rail to open the Pages section of the app builder. This is where you can add, delete, and edit pages that are included in your application.
From the Add Pages dropdown menu on the left of the screen, you can add Smartsheet Content (such as sheets, reports, and dashboards), Smartsheet Forms, and Web Content.
Added pages will appear on the left side under Current Pages. Hover over any page name and select the menu icon to rename or remove it.
- Your accessible forms are not searchable and must be added by copying the URL of your form into the WorkApp.
- Only web content from sources listed in our Embed Content from Outside Sources article can be added to the WorkApp.
When you want to add Smartsheet Content, a window will appear that allows you to search for any item you own or have Admin-level access to.
If you have access to a lot of Smartsheet items, you can filter your results to sheets, reports, or dashboards using the filter icon at the top-right corner. You can also use the Search bar to find Smartsheet items by name.
- If your search terms yield a large number of results, it can take some time to load. Try entering the exact name of the item to find items more quickly with the search bar.
- If you just created new content, you may need to select the refresh button to reload the page. The new item will appear on the refreshed list.
With any page selected under Current Pages, select the Page Settings icon at the top-right to open the Page Settings panel.
Most pages will only show you the page source, however there are additional settings available if your page is a sheet. For sheets, you can control the default view of the sheet when opened in the WorkApp on desktop (Grid View or Card View) and in the mobile Android and iOS apps (Mobile View or Grid View), and you can apply a saved default filter to help collaborators see key information first.
Add Roles and Share WorkApps
After you’ve added all the necessary pages to your WorkApps, you can create Roles to control which pages different stakeholders can view and edit. For example, you can create a role for Project Managers which allows them to edit the full project plan and view the metrics dashboard, and you can create a separate role for Assignee, which hides the metrics dashboard and only allows them to edit a report that displays their assigned work.
To open the Roles panel, select the Roles icon from the left rail.
Create and Edit Roles
To create a role from the Roles panel select Add Roles. To edit or remove an existing role, select the menu icon to the right of the role name.
After creating a role or selecting a role to edit, you’re taken to the role settings page.
On this page, you can do the following:
- Name the role by selecting the bold role name at the top of the panel.
- Control who is assigned to this role by selecting Add People.
- Control permissions to each page in your app for collaborators assigned to this role. Permissions options include Editor, Viewer, and Hidden, and these permissions do not rely on the collaborator’s permissions to the source item within Smartsheet.
- Control the order of pages within the app by hovering over the page name and dragging it up or down the list when the drag icon is displayed
Understand Permission Levels
As you create roles, you’ll need to keep the page-level permissions in mind. As a best practice, you’ll want to give collaborators the lowest permission needed for them to carry out their job function.
Use this table to understand each role:
The Editor permission gives collaborators the ability to edit rows and cells, have conversations in comments, and add attachments. For dashboards, forms, and web content, this permission is the same as Viewer.
This is the default permission of each page when you create a new role. The Viewer permission gives collaborators a read-only view of the page. They will still be able to fill out forms pages and interact with web content pages the same way they would in a separate browser window.
The Hidden permission will hide the page from collaborators.
Additional notes about permission levels
Keep the following in mind:
- Permission levels in WorkApps roles are independent of the Smartsheet permission levels of collaborators on the source item. For example, a user who is not shared to your Open Requests report in Smartsheet can be granted editor access to the report through the WorkApps roles’ permissions.
- If a collaborator is assigned multiple roles in your app, they will be able to switch between each role to control how they view and interact with the app.
Publish and Share Your WorkApp
Once you’ve configured the roles, you’ll need to publish the app and add collaborators and stakeholders to each role so that your team can start using the app.
Before publishing your app, it’s a good idea to configure the Theme by selecting the paint roller icon
To publish your app, select the Publish button in the top-right corner.
Optionally, select Manage Role to add collaborators to roles in the Add People window:
You can also open the Add People window by selecting the collaborators icon
Select the role you want to assign people to, then enter the email addresses and contact groups you want to assign. Select Add when you’re done.
Once you’ve published your app and added people to roles, those people will be able to access the app from Smartsheet or through the App Link which you can find by selecting Publish again:
- Once published, you cannot unpublish the app. You will need to either delete all of the roles, remove people from all of the roles, or delete the app.
- If you make changes to the app after you’ve published it, you’ll need to Publish Changes before those changes will be visible to end-users. You’ll see a yellow banner in the Publish dropdown when the builder has been updated since the app was last published
Interact with WorkApps from Desktop
When you are assigned a role in a WorkApp, you’ll receive a notification email that you can use to open the app. To see all apps you have access to, you can:
- Log in to Smartsheet and navigate to Browse > Apps
- Log in to https://workapps.smartsheet.com/
Apps have unique URLs, so you can also bookmark the App Link in your browser favorites for easy navigation.
Once you’ve opened an app, you’ll be able to interact with the pages in different ways depending on the permissions of the role you’ve been assigned to. To switch to a different page or role, open the Pages panel by selecting the Pages icon on the left.
If the owner assigned you to multiple roles in the app, you can select your role from the Roles dropdown at the top of the page list.
Depending on the configuration of each role, this will change which pages are visible to you, view only, and editable.
Access WorkApps on Android
If you are shared to any apps, you can navigate to the Browse tab where you will see a WorkApps folder towards the top. Tap this folder to see a gallery of all of WorkApps that have been shared to you, and tap a specific app to open it.
Access WorkApps on iOS
If you are shared to any apps, you will see a WorkApps tab in the bottom navigation bar. Tap this tab to see a gallery of all of WorkApps that have been shared to you, and tap a specific app to open it:
Navigate a WorkApp
Once you've opened one, WorkApps will display the default page configured by the builder. To view and access other pages in the app, tap the menu icon in the upper left corner of the app:
If the app builder has assigned you to multiple roles, you’ll see them listed at the top of the menu under the app name. Tapping a role will update the list of pages available to you within the WorkApp.
You can switch to a different app page by tapping on the page name in the list.
If you have multiple WorkApps shared to you, you can switch between them by tapping the View Other Apps menu option to open the WorkApps gallery.
If you’d like to return to the main Smartsheet app, you can tap Open Smartsheet.