Share a Smartsheet item
People with Owner, Admin, and Editor - Can Share permissions have the ability to share Smartsheet items.
In the top-right corner of the item, click Share. If you don't see the Share button, click the down-arrow icon in the upper-right corner of the Smartsheet window.
The sharing form opens.
If the item isn't already shared, you'll see the Invite Details. Use Invite Details to enable or disable the invitation email and draft a custom message.
If others are currently shared, you'll see a list of existing Collaborators appear by default. (You can select Invite Details if you want to see those instead.)
Tip: All shared collaborators can use the secure sheet link to open it directly—consider bookmarking the link for quick access to the item. When using the link, you'll be prompted to log in to Smartsheet (if you aren't already logged in) in order to access the sheet.
- In the Invite Collaborators box at the top, type the email addresses of the people or groups you want to share the item with. Separate multiple email addresses with a comma or semicolon.
- Select a Permissions level. For a detailed breakdown of features available to each permission level, see Sharing permission levels.
- Click Share.
The collaborators will be shared to the item and will receive a notification if you opted to send one. The Sharing form will be updated to display the list of shared Collaborators including those you just added.
You can ensure that a collaborator is looking at an item with the same view and filters applied by sending them the URL from the address bar of your browser. (Learn more about views.)
More sharing options
If you want to collaborate or share data without sharing people directly to your Smartsheet items, you can use any of the following options:
- Publish: If you want to share Smartsheet items with people who don’t have Smartsheet accounts, you can send them a publish link. Published Smartsheet items are dynamic, so the data is always up to date. See Publish a sheet, report, or dashboard for more information about publishing.
- Send as attachment: If you want to share a static Excel or PDF file of a Smartsheet item, you can email it as an attachment using the Send as Attachment feature. You can also email specific row data to other people which can be useful if they want information about a specific task or group of rows in a large sheet. To learn more, see Share sheet information in email.
- Use a form: If you want to collect information from people, use a form. Forms allow people to add new rows to your sheet based on their form submissions without direct sharing access. For more information, see Collect information with a form.
- Use automated workflows: If you need to share specific data to automatically notify people of changes to your sheets, send reminders for due dates, or request automatic updates or approvals, use automated workflows. Information about automated workflows can be found in Save time and work faster with automated workflows.