WorkApps is a no-code platform for building intuitive web and mobile apps to streamline your business and simplify collaboration. With WorkApps, you can build customized apps directly from sheets, forms, reports, dashboards, and even external content like files, weblinks, videos, or slideshows, all with no technical skills required.
You can also identify and assign different end-user roles for all of the stakeholders who are going to use the app. This allows everyone to work from the same app, using the same underlying datasets, but with a tailored experience based on their role.
Create and edit a WorkApp
You'll start creating a WorkApp from the builder. To get there from Smartsheet, select the plus icon from the right navigation bar and then select WorkApps. (Or, navigate directly to https://workapps.smartsheet.com and log in with your Smartsheet credentials.)
Create a WorkApp
From WorkApps home:
- Select + Create app from the upper-right corner of the page.
- Choose a template or start from scratch.
- To enter a name for your WorkApp, click on Untitled App at the top of your screen.
- Follow the instructions in the builder to complete your WorkApp.
Set permissions for a WorkApp
New pages are set to Hidden by default. Learn more about using roles to update permissions.
Edit a WorkApp
To edit an existing app, navigate to https://workapps.smartsheet.com and select the app you want to edit.
Use the search, filter, and sort boxes at the top of the screen to locate the Workapp you want to edit.
Select the menu icon to delete the app or view the published app.
Any changes you make in the builder save when you exit the WorkApp. The WorkApp defaults to Draft until you publish it.
To exit the builder and select a different app to edit, select the WorkApps Home icon.
Add and edit pages
- Select the Pages icon from the left rail.
- Select Add Pages to add Smartsheet Content (sheets, reports, and dashboards) or web content. If you want to add a form, copy and paste the URL for the form when you add the page.
- Select a permission level for each role. Permissions determine who can do what with the page; learn more about roles and permissions.
Added pages will appear on the left side under Current Pages.
Rename or remove a page
Hover over any page name and select the menu icon to rename or remove it.
Add a form or external web content
You cannot search for forms from inside the WorkApps builder. To add a form, click Add Pages > Smartsheet form and paste the URL of the form into the Smartsheet Form Link box.
You can embed the same list of external web content as Dashboards in WorkApps. (To learn more about what can be added to the WorkApp, see Embed Content from Outside Sources.)
External web content may not appear on a WorkApp unless the external content is published.
Adjust page settings
To open the Page Settings panel, select a page under Current Pages and then select the Page Settings icon
Most pages will only display the page source; however, additional settings are available for sheet pages. For sheet pages, you can control the following:
- Default page view: You can specify which view appears when you open the page in the WorkApp. On desktop, you can select Grid View, Card View, or Gantt View for project plans. In the mobile Android and iOS apps, you can select Mobile View or Grid View.
- Filter settings: You can apply a saved default filter to help collaborators see key information first. You can also change your Card View settings, such as Level and View By.