After you’ve added all the desired pages to a WorkApp, you can create Roles to control which pages different stakeholders can view and edit.
Permission levels in WorkApps roles are independent of the Smartsheet permission levels for collaborators on the source item. If you share a WorkApp to someone, you do not need to grant them access to each individual Smartsheet item contained in the WorkApp.
Here are some examples of how you might use this capability:
- Reveal different parts of a project to specific roles You could create a role for Project Managers which allows people in that role to edit the full project plan and view the metrics dashboard. You can also create a separate role for Assignee, which hides the metrics dashboard and only allows the people in that role to edit a report that displays their assigned work.
- Give a user access to a report outside of Smartsheet A user who is not shared to an Open Requests report in Smartsheet can be granted editor access to the same report through the WorkApps roles permissions. This collaborator will not be able to see or interact with the report in Smartsheet but they will be able to access it in the WorkApp.
- Target work assignments Leverage the Current user filter on a report and set the page permission to editor. The report will be filtered to display only the rows that are relevant to the collaborator. The collaborators in a role with editor permissions for the page will be able to edit the row values of the rows that are assigned to them using the WorkApp.
Create and edit roles
To open the Roles panel, select the Roles icon from the left rail.
To create a role from the Roles panel select Add Roles.
To edit or remove (delete) an existing role, select the menu icon to the right of the role name and select Edit or Delete, respectively.
After you create a role or select a role to edit, you’re taken to the role settings page.
On this page, you can do the following:
- Name the role by selecting the bold role name at the top of the panel.
- Control who is assigned to this role by selecting Add People.
- View people who are assigned to the role you selected by clicking the People tab.
NOTE: If a collaborator is assigned to multiple roles in your app, they will be able to switch between each role to control how they view and interact with the app.
- Delete people if you no longer want them to be assigned to the role.
- Control permissions to each page in your app for collaborators assigned to this role.
- Control the order of pages within the app by hovering over the page name and dragging it up or down the list when the drag icon is displayed.
Page permission reference
As you create roles, you’ll need to keep the page-level permissions in mind. As a best practice, give people the lowest permission needed for them to carry out their job function.
Role permissions are independent of the collaborator’s permissions to the source item within Smartsheet.
The following table outlines the page permissions that can be assigned to the roles you create.
What people with this permission can do
The Editor permission gives collaborators the ability to edit rows, cells, and add attachments.
For dashboards, forms, and web content, this permission is the same as Viewer.
The Viewer permission gives collaborators a read-only view of the page.
This is the default permission of each page when you create a new role.
Viewers can fill out forms pages and interact with web content pages the same way they would in a separate browser window.
The Hidden permission will hide the page from collaborators.