Work with Calendar View
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
The Calendar View is a reflection of the dates contained in a sheet or report. Any sheet or report containing at least one date column (more on date columns in our Column Types article) can be displayed as a calendar by clicking the Calendar View button on the toolbar. You can either insert a new column, setting the column type to date or change an existing column's type to date.
TIP: Change the format of dates by selecting an appropriate Language (Country) in the Personal Settings of your Smartsheet account. Details on how to change this can be found in the Adjusting Personal Settings article.
The Owner and collaborators with Admin access to a sheet or report can determine which tasks will be displayed in Calendar View.
- Switch to Calendar View.
- Click the gear icon on the right (below the Share button) to display the Calendar Settings form.
- From the form, you can make adjustments as desired:
- Select a column from the Display only dates in this column drop-down list to place each task with a date listed in the column on a single date in the calendar.
- Use the Display date ranges drop-down list to select two date columns in your sheet. In this case, each task with a date in both columns will be displayed in the calendar extended across the date range. This feature is most helpful when tracking a task from start to finish.
NOTE: If you're working in a report, the Calendar View can reflect dates spread across multiple sheets. Make sure all of the sheets contain column names that exactly match what you've selected in the Calendar Settings. Tasks from sheets that don't contain these columns won't appear in the calendar as expected.
- If you've set up row hierarchy in your sheet, you can choose whether to Display Summary Tasks. Uncheck this option to hide the top-level parent row and only display sub-tasks in the Calendar View.
NOTE: This will remove the summary tasks from the Smartsheet calendar view, but not from the version published to Google or iCal. As row hierarchy doesn't appear in the Grid View of a report, the option to Display Summary Tasks isn't available in the Calendar View of a report.
- Select Display My Reminders to display a reminder icon (a bell) on each day in the calendar that a reminder is scheduled to be sent to you. All sheet collaborators have the option to display their own reminders.
NOTE: Reminders can't be created from a report, so Display My Reminders isn't available in the Calendar View of a report.
Each bar in the calendar will display the text from the Primary Column of the sheet or report. When parent rows are expanded in a sheet, bar colors for child rows can be set by right-clicking (PC) or Ctrl+clicking (Mac) on the bar and selecting Color Settings. Additional information can be found in our Changing the Color of Calendar Bars help article.
TIP: If you don't want to see all tasks appear in the calendar, create a new date column (i.e. 'Calendar Date') in Grid View. Only place dates in this column if you want the task to appear in the calendar. Switch back to Calendar View and select your new date column in the Calendar Settings form.
At this time there isn't a way to schedule a task to take place at a certain time, only a certain date. Project sheet tasks with duration in partial days, hours, or minutes will still span across full days in the Calendar View, as well as in any published versions of the calendar.
The sheet Owner, and collaborators with either Admin or Editor access can change the date for a task by dragging the bar and dropping it on a new day. Tasks that span a start and end date can be dragged from the left or right edge to extend their duration.
NOTE: The drag functionality is not available in a report's Calendar View, or for parent rows (any row with sub-tasks indented underneath) in a sheet if dependencies are enabled.
You can edit rows from the Calendar View by double-clicking on the calendar bar. The Edit Row form appears, enabling you to edit all cells in the row. Changes made here will be reflected in the Grid View.
To change the time frame in Calendar View, click the right or left arrow at the top to move forward or backward in time. Click the drop-down to change the units of time.
Clicking on the mini-calendar will also allow you to navigate through your project by dates.
Once you’ve configured your Calendar View you can either Print the calendar to PDF, Publish it to an external calendar program, or send it to a recipient via email by clicking File > Send as Attachment.
NOTE: When you print a Calendar, it will always print 4 weeks of calendar information per page, and there is not a way to adjust the size of the boxes.