Collect Information with a Form
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
Who can use this capability?
The sheet Owner and Admins can create and edit forms.
Anyone with access to the form can submit an entry on the form. A license is required to create and edit forms. If you are using a Trial version of Smartsheet, you can create forms, but those forms cannot be shared.
Individual, Business, Enterprise, and Premier
Create and share forms to gather and organize information within Smartsheet. After you create and share a form, each form submission will be added to the top or bottom of your sheet as a new row.
Use a form, for example, to collect survey responses, intake project requests, or gather product orders.
Anyone who can access the form can use it to submit information to the sheet.
Form submissions will always create new rows. If you want to give someone the ability to edit an existing row, you'll want to send them an Update Request. For more information, see Save Time and Work Faster With Automated Workflows.
Create a New Form
- Open the sheet that you want to attach the form to.
Select Forms > Create Form on the menu bar at the top of the Smartsheet window.
If you don't see Forms, select the down arrow icon in the upper-right of the Smartsheet window.
When a new form is created, all columns (except for System columns) from your sheet will automatically be added to your form. Each field will function similarly to its respective column type.
For Contact Lists and Dropdown Lists, this includes the Restrict to list values only checkbox. When this box is checked, people submitting on the form can only select from values listed in the column values.
See Use the Best Column Type for Your Data for more information about each column type.
By default, the title of the form corresponds to the sheet name and the fields on the form correspond to the names of their associated sheet columns.
- Select an element from the center form preview to edit its settings, displayed in the right panel. For more information about field settings, see Edit or Remove Fields in a Form.
- Use Settings at the top of the form builder to adjust any form-level settings. For more information, see Manage Form Display and Submission Options.
- When you’ve finished setting up your form, select Save at the top-right to save your changes.
Preview and See How to Share the Form
- Select Open Form to preview the form to ensure it’s configured correctly.
After you've previewed the form, you can close the browser tab that it opens in.
- Select Share Form to email the form directly from Smartsheet, copy the form link, or embed it in a dashboard or webpage.
- Select the back arrow in the top-left corner of the form editor to close it and return to the sheet.
The name of the form you’ve created will appear in the Form Manager where you can distribute the form, view its properties, and more.
Once you share a form, people will be able to use it to add information to your sheet. Each form submission will appear as a new row.
Even if you edit the form, the link to it will remain the same. Changes you make will appear on the form when you save them.