What you’re able to do in Smartsheet will depend on a few factors:
- Your plan and user type
- Whether or not you have a Smartsheet license
- The sharing permissions you’ve been given for the various Smartsheet items you’re working with
You can use the steps here to identify your plan type and to determine whether you have a Smartsheet license.
Identify Your Smartsheet Plan Type
To see the plan type that you have:
- Click your account image in the lower left corner of the Smartsheet window and click either Plan Info or Plan & Billing Info, depending on your account permissions, (or click here to go straight to the Account Administration window).
- In the Account Administration window, next to Plan, you’ll see your plan type listed.
Smartsheet Plan Type Overview
Smartsheet has two classes of plan type:
- Single-user plan: The single-user plan is called Individual. The Individual plan has only one licensed user.
- Business and Enterprise: A Business or Enterprise plan can have a number of licensed users (the number of licenses available will depend on the plan) and one or more System Admins.
In most cases, you’ll be able to tell whether you have a license by looking at your plan type.
A Free Plan Type Is Unlicensed
If your plan type is listed as Free, you do not have a Smartsheet license. (Note that Sheets Owned will always be 0 for a Free plan type because you must have a license in order to create or own sheets.)
The most common scenarios for having a plan type of Free are these:
- Someone shared a sheet or other Smartsheet item to you and you are not currently licensed on any other Smartsheet plan.
- A System Admin invited you to join a Business or Enterprise plan but did not grant you a license to the plan. (A System Admin might do this to help facilitate tracking and planning in Smartsheet.)
- You switched from a paid plan to a Free plan. For more information about this, see Options for Canceling a Smartsheet Account.
- You started a free 30-day trial (details on how to start a trial are available here) and that trial has expired.
If you’re using a trial of Smartsheet, your plan type will be listed as Trial, and you’ll see the Upgrade Options button at the top of the Account Administration window.
When you’re using a trial, you will have all of the options available to a licensed user for the duration of the trial.
Licenses and System Admins
Every account must have at least one System Admin. Note, however, that it is possible for the System Admin to be unlicensed.
TIP: It’s a good best practice to have at least two people who have System Admin access to an account (for example, you might want someone in your IT department to have access).
If you have System Admin permissions, you can verify who on your plan has a license by clicking your account image in the lower left corner of the Smartsheet window and clicking Plan & Billing Info and User Management. Check marks in the Licensed User column show you which people have licenses.
Determine If You Are a System Admin
If you are a System Admin on your account, when you click Plan & Billing Info (or click here to open the window), you’ll see a number of options that other plan users won’t see. For example, in addition to account information, you’ll see the Admin Center and User Management option. In the Account Administration window you'll see additional options, too, including License Request Management, Login History, and Account Settings.