Join an existing Smartsheet plan at your organization
You’ve tried Smartsheet, you like it, and you’re ready to get a license so that you can take advantage of all of the features Smartsheet has to offer. The easiest way to do this is to request licence for an account that already exists at your organization.
Depending on how the System Admins at your organization have configured Smartsheet, you may be able to make this request right from Smartsheet.
If a Smartsheet System Admin at your organization has enabled Account Discovery, you can:
- Respond to the Join an Account Message—If you receive a message asking you to join an existing account, select the name of the account that you want to join and click Ask to Join.
- Join via your account: Use the Account Discovery tool. Or select Account (in the lower-left corner of the Smartsheet window). From the left pane, select Plan Info, and click Join an Account. Fill out in the request and click Send.
You'll receive an email message when System Admin is ready to add you to the account.
Account Discovery makes it easier for you to add people to your account and manage the users in your organization.
People at your organization who use Smartsheet as free collaborators, or who are trying it out, will have visibility into which Smartsheet accounts from your organization are available for them to join. They’ll easily be able to request a license from you, and you can approve with one click directly from your email.
To allow people at your organization to discover your account and request a license:
- You must be a System Admin with a paid license.
- The account must use a valid domain address that your organization owns—addresses that use common Internet Service Provider (ISP) domains such as @gmail.com don’t qualify.
The domain the account uses is determined by the email address of the Main Contact. The domain for the account may change if the Main Contact changes.
- The domain must not have User Auto Provisioning enabled.
Upgrade a user and grant them a license
License requests come via email. Select Add to Account in the email to go to the Account Administration form.
Activate or deactivate Account Discovery
Pro plan users cannot turn off account discovery.
- Select Account > Plan & Billing Info > Account Settings.
- Click Edit next to Account Discovery. Verify that Enabled is checked and then select Save.
Make sure your account name reflects the department or group name that owns it. For example, if you are a SysAmin for an account used by the Marketing department at MBF Corp, name the account MBF Marketing to distinguish it from the Accounting department at MBF Corp.
Learn how to change the main contact or account name.