The method to transfer a paid subscription (license) to another user depends on your plan type.
- For a Pro plan, only the account owner can transfer the license for the account. The owner can transfer the account to any Smartsheet user with a free or trial account.
- For a Business or Enterprise plan, any System Admin for the account can reassign licenses and transfer owned items to other users.
If the person taking over the license doesn't already have an account in Smartsheet, it may be easier to change the email address on the existing account instead of creating a new account and transferring the license. Be sure to remove the old email address from the alternate email address list.
For a Pro plan, the user license is assigned to the account that purchased the subscription. When a Pro plan is transferred, the new account holder will be associated with the existing paid subscription under the same billing information. The new account owner also becomes the owner of all sheets and reports.
Templates won't be transferred to the new account. To save templates for the new account, the original template owner can create a new sheet from the template before the transfer. After the transfer, the new owner can save that sheet as a template to their own account.
Learn more in Creating & Using Templates.
To transfer a Pro account:
- Log in as the current subscription holder. Select your profile icon to navigate to Account Admin and review your account details.
- Click the Transfer Paid Account link. The Transfer Paid Account form appears.
- Enter and confirm the email address of the person who will be taking over the payment information and ownership of sheets, then choose OK.
If the email address matches an existing free (or free trial) Smartsheet account, and transferring sheet ownership won't put them above the maximum allowed sheet count for the subscription plan, a confirmation email will be sent to that email address.
Account Transfer Error Messages
- If you see an error message that the maximum sheet count will be exceeded, you or the new sheet owner can delete existing sheets to make room for the new ones or consider upgrading to a plan with a higher sheet limit.
- If you see a message that the target user is not an existing, free Smartsheet account, then the user may have never logged in before, or they may already have a paid account. If they have never logged in before, then they can either log in at least once, or you can update the email address of your account using the steps in our article, Change the Email Addresses Used with Your Smartsheet Account. If they already have a paid account, then you can choose a different account owner, or you can transfer your owned items using the steps in our article, Change Ownership of a Sheet, Report, or Dashboard
Once the new owner has accepted the account transfer in their email, the subscription, billing information, and sheet ownership will be moved to the Smartsheet account under their email address. The previous owner's account will be reverted to a free collaborator.
Sheets within the Sheets directory will be placed in a Transferred from (username) folder in the new owner's Browse directory (accessible from the left panel). Sheets in workspaces will remain in the established Workspaces. All sheets will retain their sharing permissions and sheet data. The previous owner will be removed from sharing.
NOTE: If the current account owner owns sheets in a workspace that is owned by someone else, and the target owner is not the Owner or an Admin of the workspace, then the sheets will be moved to the Transferred from (username) folder in the new owner's Sheets directory. The sharing permissions from the workspace will be retained at the sheet-level, but the sheets will no longer be in the workspace..
Before you request an account transfer, share all workspaces to the intended new owner and give them Admin access. For more information, see the article on Workspace Sharing.
Transfer Your Paid Account to a Multi-User Trial
If you try to transfer your paid account to a multi-user trial, you'll receive this message.
The person you're trying to transfer your account to will need to cancel their account and switch to free before you can transfer your paid account to them. Details on canceling and switching to free can be found in the Options for Canceling a Smartsheet Account help article.
If you have not reached the license limit in your Business or Enterprise plan, then you can assign a license to your target user then transfer all owned items to them upon deletion of the user that they are replacing. If you’ve reached your license limit, then you’ll need to free up a license to complete the transfer:
- Log in to Smartsheet Admin Center as a System Admin and open the left panel to access User Management.
- To open the Edit User panel, select the licensed user whose access you want to transfer, and toggle the Licensed User switch to off.
- In the Transfer Ownership and Remove License window, select Remove without transferring items. This will free up the license so that it can be reassigned.
NOTE: All of the user's owned sheets will become temporarily locked in a read-only state until they're transferred to the new user. Also, if the user was a Group Admin, you will have to transfer their owned groups to an active Group Admin or System Admin. This will not affect any sharing access at the group level.
- If the new user has already been added to your plan as a free user, you should assign them a license then proceed to step 5.
If they have not been added to your plan yet, select Add User at the top left of the User Management page to send them an invitation with the Licensed User role.
- When the new user accepts the invitation, their Member Status in User Management will change from Invited to Accepted.
- Once the new user has accepted the invitation, find the previous user in User Management and open the Edit User panel. Select the three-dot menu icon at the upper-right to Transfer Owned Items. Once the items are transferred to the new user, the sheets that were read-only in step 2 will be reactivated.
NOTE: Only item ownership is transferred. Sheets owned by other users and shared to the previous user will need to be re-shared to the new user.
Sheets within the previous user’s Sheets directory will be placed in a Transferred from (username) folder in the new owner's Browse directory (accessible from the left panel). Sheets in workspaces will remain in established Workspaces. All sheets retain their sharing permissions and sheet data. The previous owner can now be removed from sharing.
If the previous user owns sheets in a workspace that is owned by someone else, and the target owner is not the Owner or an Admin of the workspace, then the sheets will be moved to the Transferred from (username) folder in the new owner's Sheets directory. The sharing permissions from the workspace will be retained at the sheet-level, but the sheets will no longer be in the workspace.
Optionally, you can remove the user whose access was transferred from the account. For information about how to do this, see Manage Users in an Enterprise or Business Plan.