A reminder in Smartsheet is a type of alert that can help you and others stay informed so that you can take action on items in a sheet. Reminders are date driven: Smartsheet will send you an email reminder about sheet or a task before, on, or after a specific date.
Requirements for Creating and Editing Reminders
Use the following table as a reference for whether you can create or edit reminders for yourself and others based on sheet sharing permissions.
|Create reminders for yourself||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Create reminders for others||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Edit any reminders||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Edit reminders you created||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
Set Up a Reminder in your Sheet
You can create reminders based on a Date column (sheet-level) or on selected rows with a specific date (row-level).
When you set up a reminder, you’ll specify the who and the when:
- Who—This attribute can also be associated with contacts if a Contact List column exists in the sheet.
- When—Based on any column in the sheet that uses a Date column type or you can choose a specific date from the date picker.
Create a Reminders Based on a Date Column
To create a sheet-level reminder based on a date column:
- Select Alerts & Actions from the menu bar.
If you don't see Alerts & Actions, click the down arrow icon in the upper-right of the Smartsheet window.
The Alerts & Actions window appears. (This window will list all existing alerts and actions on your sheet.)
- Choose Send a reminder from the first dropdown list.
- Click Next. The Reminder form appears. Enter the Who (Contact List column or shared people) and the When (Date column).
- Click Save.
That’s it! Now people will receive a date-based reminder in an email message.
Create a Reminder for Specific Rows
To create a row-level reminder for specific rows:
- Select the desired rows.
- Right-click on one of the selected rows and click Set Reminder. The Reminder form appears.
- Enter the Who (shared people) and the When (specific date).
- Click Save.
That's it! A bell icon appears next to each row with a scheduled reminder. The bell icon will disappear when the reminder has been sent.
Edit, Disable, or Delete Existing Rules
To disable a rule or change rule conditions, recipients, frequency, or columns included:
- Select Alerts & Actions from the Menu bar. The Alerts & Actions window appears.
- Click the down-arrow in the upper-right corner of the rule you want to edit or delete.
|Use this command||To do this|
|Edit||Rename or change the criteria for the rule.|
You can also use this command to access the Customize Email link so that you can make changes to the subject, body, or columns included.
|Delete||Delete the rule completely. (This cannot be undone.)|
Reminder Dates, Times, and Time Zones
To make sure you're sending reminders on the days you want, keep the following in mind:
- Only people who are shared on the sheet will receive reminders.
- Reminders will be sent out on non-working days and holidays if they are set for those dates.
- It is not possible to specify the time of day that a reminder is sent.
- Reminders are sent between 12:00 AM and 4:00 AM based on the sheet owner’s time zone. For this reason, in most cases, you won’t receive a reminder on the same day that you create it. If you want to ensure that you receive a new reminder, choose a start date that occurs in the future.
- The time zone used for Smartsheet is specified per user in the Personal Settings form. For more information about personal settings, see Adjusting Personal Settings.