There are different ways to copy and paste information in Smartsheet or between Smartsheet and other programs.
This article includes tips for copying data between Smartsheet and other programs, and for how to use Paste Special to customize paste results.
Using copy and paste for columns is not supported.
Copy and paste between Smartsheet and other programs
You can also import files to create new sheets.
To copy data between Smartsheet and another program such as Microsoft Excel, use keyboard shortcuts:
- Ctrl+C (or Command+C) to copy
Ctrl+V (or Command+V) to paste
When you copy/paste between programs, keep these things in mind:
- Right-click menu commands (copy and paste) don’t always function as expected when you switch between different applications.
- If you've copied a multi-line cell in Excel or other programs, double-click the cell in Smartsheet before pasting it. Doing this will prevent the lines from spilling over into the cells below.
Create cell links, copy formula results, or formatting
To use Paste Special
- After you copy a cell or row, right-click the destination cell.
- Select Paste Special.
- Choose how you want to paste the cell or row content.
Use the table below to decide which option to use.
|Use this||To do this|
|Values||Paste in the values you’ve copied. For example, there is a formula in the cell that was copied. Use this option to paste the result of the formula into the cell rather than the formula itself.|
|Formats||Paste in the formatting from the copied cell, such as background color, font color, font style, etc.|
|Links to Copied Cells||
Create cell links to the copied cells. This option will only be available if you’re pasting into a separate sheet than the one you’ve copied from, you have the appropriate sharing permissions, and you’re pasting into a column that allows cell links.