You can import an existing Microsoft Excel file, Microsoft Project project, Google Spreadsheet, or Atlassian Trello board to create a new sheet in Smartsheet.
NOTE: Import will always create a new sheet. To bring data from other programs into an existing sheet, use copy and paste.
Before You Import
For successful import, files must meet the following criteria:
- The file cannot exceed 10 MB
- Up to 5,000 rows, 200 columns, or 200,000 cells can be imported at a time
- Microsoft Excel files must be in .xls, .xlsx, or .csv format and first tab of the workbook cannot be blank
- Microsoft Project files must be created in versions 2007, 2010, 2013, or 2016 and must be in .mpp, .mpx, .mspdi, or .xml format
Get Started With Your Import
- Click the Menu icon (upper-left corner of the Smartsheet window) and click the Solution Center (plus) icon.
- Select the source application that you're importing from.
Smartsheet will prompt you to locate and upload the file from your computer.
- After your file has been uploaded, type a sheet name and select your Primary column for the sheet. (More on the Primary Column.)
- Click the Import button.
Your imported file appears as a new sheet on Home in the left panel.
Note that you may need to make manual adjustments to the sheet after it's imported to get it to look and function the way that you want.
Some aspects of your imported item will not be retained on import. Common items that may require adjustments include:
- Capabilities that are not available in Smartsheet. These won't be included in the imported sheet—for example, merged cells, multiple sheets in a workbook, or cell borders.
- Drop-down lists for data validation will need to be re-created in Smartsheet. (For more information about data validation capabilities in Smartsheet, see Control Data Entry and Allow Only Specific Values in a Column.)
- If you import an Excel sheet or Google Spreadsheet that uses a formula that isn't supported in Smartsheet, an #UNPARSEABLE error will appear in place of the formula. For more information about formula errors, see the Formula Error Messages article.
- Images from an external file won't import
Only the first (left-most) worksheet tab of an Excel workbook will be imported. Look at the very bottom of your Excel workbook to see if you have multiple tabs.
If you have multiple tabs you'd like to import to Smartsheet:
- Import the workbook into Smartsheet once to create a new sheet, as described above.
- Go back to the Excel file and move a different tab into the left-most position by clicking on it and dragging it to the left.
- Save the Excel file, and import it to Smartsheet again. This will create a new sheet based on the information in the tab you just moved into the left-most position.
- Repeat the process until you've created a sheet for each tab in the workbook.
- In Smartsheet, consider moving all of the sheets into a folder or workspace for organizational purposes.
What to Expect When You Import an Atlassian Trello Board
If you’re importing an Atlassian Trello board, you can import up to 5,000 cards or 50 lists. If your cards include cover images, note that there is a cumulative 10 MB limit for importing these image files.
Select the board that you want to import and click OK. A new sheet is created in Smartsheet with the imported data. By default, the sheet will be displayed in Card View.
When you import an Atlassian Trello board, the following columns will always be created in Smartsheet (you'll see these columns in Grid View):
- Task Name Fields in this column will display the names you used for the cards in Trello. It will be formatted as a text/number column.
- List This column will contain all of the list names from the Trello board. List names will appear as column set names in Smartsheet's Card View.
- Members This column will include all of the names of Trello board members (the people with whom you shared your Trello board) in a dropdown list.
- Due Date If you've set a due date for a card, it will appear in the field in the Due Date column. This column will be formatted with a date column format.
- Description Description text from the Trello board will be included here. This column will be formatted with a text/number column.
Additional columns and information on the cards will be included depending on what was included in your Trello Board.
NOTE: Archived cards will not be imported from Trello.