Who can use this capability
The capability of deleting a Smartsheet item depends on where it's located:
- If a Smartsheet item isn't in a workspace, only the Owner of that item can delete it.
- Workspaces can only be deleted by the Owner of the workspace.
- People shared to workspaces with Admin-level permissions can delete items within them. (More on workspaces can be found here.)
Delete a Sheet
Free up space and remove the clutter of Smartsheet items that you no longer use by deleting them.
If you don't have the appropriate permission to the sheet, report or template, you won't be able to delete it. Instead, you can Remove Your Shared Access to the item to remove it from Browse in the left panel.
Completely Delete a Smartsheet Item
Delete an Open Item
- Click File > Delete.
Delete an Item From Browse
- Browse to the item you want to delete.
- Right-click the item and select Delete.
A confirmation message appears before the sheet is deleted.
TIP: To delete multiple items at once: hold the Shift key and select the items, then click the Delete button.
Deleted items move to the Deleted Items section in your left panel. You have up to 30 days to recover a deleted item; after 30 days, the item is permanently erased and cannot be recovered.
What Happens When You Delete a Workspace or Folder
- Only the Owner can delete a workspace.
- Folders can be deleted by the Owner or anyone with Admin-level permissions to the parent workspace.
- All of the items in a deleted workspace or folder will also be deleted. (Sheets, templates, reports, and dashboards are all moved to the Owner's deleted items section and can be recovered.)
- When deleted, workspaces and folders themselves cannot be recovered. Instead, you'll need to rebuild them.