There are a few reasons you might want to transfer objects to a new owner. Maybe someone in your team has a new job and isn’t managing the same projects anymore. Maybe someone has left your organization entirely, and you need to transfer ownership of their Smartsheet objects.
With non-destructive transfer, you can move items to a new owner while keeping the hierarchy of those items (folders and workspaces) in place. Non-destructive transfer also ensures that your dashboard widgets keep working, even when there’s an ownership change of the underlying sheets or reports.
Non Destructive Ownership Transfer (NDOT) enables administrators to safely transfer ownership of objects such as sheets, reports, or dashboards in a Workspace to a user not already shared to that Workspace on at least an admin level. NDOT maintains the same object hierarchy and the referential links during ownership transfer which helps maintain structure and solution scalability.
When you transfer items, the new owner immediately becomes the admin on those items.
Things to know about non-destructive transfer:
- When you transfer ownership of objects in a workspace to a person who’s already an admin or owner on that workspace, the new owner becomes the admin on the workspace.
- You can only transfer ownership of all items from a user; it's not possible to transfer only selected items.
- Dashboards can break when transferred because ownership transfer does not transfer the widgets that are part of the dashboard.
Transfer an item
- Go to Admin Center (https://admin.smartsheet.com/).
- Under Licensed Users, select Manage Licensed Users.
- On the User Management screen, select the user who owns the item you want to transfer and then select Transfer Owned Items.
- Enter the user email address for the new owner and then select Transfer.