Use Smartsheet authentication for Resource Management
Smartsheet Authentication allows users to sign in to Resource Management (RM) with their Smartsheet credentials.
Before you begin
- To use Smartsheet authentication, you must first set up the Resource Management integration connection. Learn How to Authorize Smartsheet and Resource Management accounts.
- Ensure all users that you add to your Resource Management account are also licensed or unlicensed free members of your Smartsheet organization. Learn How to add users to your Smartsheet organization.
- Confirm the following:
- You are a SysAdmin on Smartsheet and have logged into your Resource Management account via email and password.
- You have checked Keep Email + Password for SysAdmins in Smartsheet Admin Center. Go to Account Administration > Security Controls > Authentication. Check Keep Email + Password for Sys Admins (fallback option).
- Designate another Resource Management admin with a Resource Management username and password login. This role uses a Resource Management username/password exclusively and does not use Smartsheet authentication. The account is a backup in case there are authentication errors in Smartsheet.
If you have Smartsheet authentication for Resource Management enabled, federated sessions will be enabled by default. When logged into Smartsheet or any other premium app, federated sessions will automatically log you in upon navigation, bypassing the Resource Management login page.
Enable Smartsheet authentication:
- Sign in to your Resource Management account at https://rm.smartsheet.com/si.
- In the upper-right corner, select Settings > Account Settings.
- Select the Authentication tab.
- Choose Smartsheet Authentication.
- Select Save to confirm your selection.
User Auto Provisioning (UAP) for Resource Management
When you activate UAP for Resource Management, users are automatically added to your organization and granted a license. You do not need to send invitations. All users default to Portfolio Reporter permissions.
When to use UAP for Resource Management
Auto-provisioning works best when you want all users to have the same permission level and all users to be licensed.
If you have managed resources, want to assign different permission levels to each user, or want to restrict the number of licenses you issue, do not use UAP. Invite your users via email instead.
Activate UAP for Resource Management
- Log into Resource Management.
- Select Account Settings>Authentication.
- Check the Autoprovision checkbox.
Optional: Select a default role from the dropdown.
For more information, see FAQ: Smartsheet authentication for Resource Management.