You may build WorkApps for your external clients or for internal use, but if you’re not the final owner responsible for maintaining those WorkApps, it makes sense to transfer ownership once they’re built. You may also need to transfer WorkApps if your team has staffing changes.
The new owner must be a Smartsheet Enterprise licensed user. For more information, see Smartsheet Features by Plan Type.
If a WorkApp owner has left the company, your sysadmin can contact Smartsheet for help transferring ownership of their apps. See Request help transferring a WorkApp below.
Transfer a WorkApp
- Go to the WorkApps home page (https://workapps.smartsheet.com/) and on the Owned by me tab, open the WorkApp you want to transfer.
- At the top right of the screen click App Settings.
- Under New Owner, select the new owner’s email address.
- If prompted, grant the new owner admin access to any sheets, dashboards, and/or reports they need to own and maintain for this WorkApp.
- Click Send Transfer Request. The new owner is notified via email; they have 14 days to accept or decline the request. You will be notified via mail when the new owner accepts or declines the request.
You might want to change the recipient of a transfer request, or cancel the transfer entirely.
To stop a transfer request:
- Go to App settings > Transfer ownership settings > Stop transfer.
Adding Items to Your WorkApp while a transfer is pending.
Adding items to the WorkApp (sheets, dashboards, or reports) while a request is pending will automatically cancel the transfer request. File a new transfer request when you finish making your changes.
Accept Ownership of a Transferred WorkApp
When someone transfers a WorkApp to you, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to accept or decline the transfer. If you take no action for 14 days, the request will expire.
To complete the transfer:
Open the email and do one of the following:
- Accept the transfer request. This completes the transfer. The original owner will receive notification that the transfer was successful. They also get an email with a link to the WorkApp.
- Decline the transfer request. The original owner will receive notification that the request was declined.
After you accept the request, you may need to update role permissions inside the app for the original WorkApp owner.
WorkApp Transfer Notes
- You can transfer an app that’s in draft or live.
- Adding items to the WorkApp (sheets, dashboards, or reports) while a request is pending will automatically cancel the transfer request.
- You can transfer or accept a transfer from desktop/tablet; there is no transfer function in Smartsheet for Mobile.
- End users are not notified of owner changes
- When you take ownership of the app, make sure all pages (reports, dashboards, and web content) appear as you expect for your end users. Your permissions may be different than those of the previous owner, so your view may be different, too.
Request ownership transfer
If you can’t manually transfer a WorkApp, it might be because the person who owns it has left the company and their credentials are no longer valid. You’ll need to contact Smartsheet support to make the transfer.
Before you make the request
To expedite the WorkApp transfer process, make sure the desired new owner has Owner or Admin permissions to all of the Smartsheet items (sheets, reports, and dashboards) included as pages in the WorkApp.
For more information about how to change permissions for Smartsheet items, see: Share Sheets, Reports, and Dashboards.
To request an ownership transfer
Visit the Smartsheet Support contact page and click Get Help with Smartsheet.
Under Which category best describes your reason for contacting us?, select Help with an add-on or WorkApp.
In the Which app or add-on do you need help with? box, select WorkApp.
To ensure timely processing of your request, please include the following information in the Message box of the request:
Email address of current owner (must be the email address used to log in to Smartsheet)
Email address of desired new owner (must be the email address used to log in to Smartsheet)
The new owner must be a licensed Smartsheet user of an Enterprise plan.
The URLs of the WorkApps that you would like to have transferred. (Or, if you want all WorkApps owned by the current owner transferred to the new owner, you can indicate that.)
Fill out the request of the required fields in the form and click Send Email.
You’ll receive an email response with your case number. A Support specialist will respond to your request and will help complete the ownership transfer.