Follow the step-by-step instructions to add attachments to your sheet.
Smartsheet allows you to attach and manage files directly in your sheet so you can access all of your work in one place. Files can be attached from your desktop and the most popular cloud storage providers.
Attach files stored on your computer to a sheet
You can attach almost any file from your computer to a sheet, row, or comment.
Read on to learn how to do this.
Duplicate file names
In the desktop app, when you upload a file with the same name which is already saved to the row or sheet, you’ll be prompted to select one of these options:
- Attach as a new version of the original file
- Attach as a separate file with a duplicate name
Alternatively, consider changing the name before you upload.
On the mobile app, identically named files will be uploaded directly without the option to save as a new version.
If you’re looking for information about using your mobile device to attach multiple files and edit images in Smartsheet, check out the mobile help articles below:
Attach files to a sheet or row
How you attach files depends on where you'd like them to be connected. You can attach files on the sheet level, or attach files directly to a specific row or comment.
To attach files at the sheet level
- Select the Attachments icon.
- Select the Sheet tab.
- Drag any files to the Attachments pane, or select the Attach Files to Sheet button.
Behaviors of row-level attachments
- Rows that already contain attachments will display the Attachments icon to the left of the row number.
- You can only attach files to one row at a time.
- You can't associate any already attached file with a different row or area of the sheet.
To attach files to a specific row
- Hover your pointer over the row where you’d like to attach the file.
- Select Attach a file to this row.
- In the Attachments pane, select Attach Files to Row.
If you’re uploading a locally saved file, you can drag the file to the row where you want to attach it.
Attach files as you comment
- Go to the Conversations pane.
- In the lower-right area of the comment box, select Attachments .
- Choose from where you’ll upload the file.
- Type your comment, and select Save.
Supported file types, file sizes, and other requirements
The vast majority of file types are supported for uploading, including (but not limited to):
|File type||Examples of extensions|
|Most image formats||.jpg, .png, .gif|
|Portable Document Format|
|Microsoft Office Suite||.docx, .pptx, .xlsx|
Supported browsers and upload quantities
- You can upload 100 files at a time. While there isn't a limit to the total number of attachments allowed on a row or sheet, you’re bound by the amount of storage space included in the sheet owner's subscription.
- You have to upload files larger than 30 MB if your browser supports HTML 5.
Need more information about supported browser types and versions? Check out the System Requirements for Using Smartsheet article.
File types that are not supported
For security reasons, there are restrictions on the file types you can upload or download. For example, you can’t upload an executable (.exe) file type.
Maximum file sizes
File size maximums are based on your plan, user type, and the method used to upload a file.
|User or upload type||Maximum file size|
|Licensed user||250 MB (30 MB for Pro plan)|
|Free user||30 MB|
|Trial user||250 MB|
|Anyone uploading files from a Smartsheet form||30 MB|
|Smartsheet Mobile app (iOS and Android)||30 MB|
Unlicensed, Free, and Pro plan users can upload up to 250MB files on sheets owned by users on Business and Enterprise plans.
Looking for information on file imports to Smartsheet? Check out the System Requirements and Guidelines for Using Smartsheet article.