Smartsheet is a 100% Software as a Service (SaaS) online application compatible with browsers running on PC, Mac, and Linux operating systems. You can also use Smartsheet on mobile devices.
Smartsheet Premium apps are not supported on Internet Explorer. Please see Premium Apps below for more information.
Internet and Browser Settings
An active, persistent internet connection is required to access Smartsheet.
Operating Systems and Browsers
Smartsheet supports the following platform and browser combinations:
- Windows: Chrome (recommended for best performance), Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge
- Mac: Chrome, Firefox, and Safari
- Linux: Firefox
- ChromeOS: Chrome
TIP: If you are working with sheets with more than 5,000 rows, you’ll have the best results in the Chrome browser. For more information about sheet maximums, see Sheet and Imported File Size Maximums below.
Supported Browser Versions
While you can access Smartsheet from many browser versions, Smartsheet's performance and security are enhanced when you use the latest generally available browser version. Developer or pre-release browser versions may work but are not officially supported by Smartsheet.
If you attempt to log in using an unsupported browser, you will receive a "Your browser is not supported..." message or a message similar to the following: "This webpage is not available...the page may be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address." If you receive this message and you've confirmed that you are using a supported browser and version, please see the Troubleshooting Guide for additional information.
To regain access to Smartsheet, you’ll need to update to a more current browser version.
A sheet cannot exceed a total of 500,000 cells—that is, when multiplied together, the number of rows and columns in your sheet cannot exceed this number.
NOTE: Imported files have the same restrictions and cannot exceed 50 MB.
The following table includes more information about maximum values.
|Inbound Cell Links||20,000|
|Unique cells referenced in cross-sheet formulas||100,000|
- Rows: 20,000
- Columns: 400
- Cells: 500,000
- To determine how close you are to the 500,000 cell limit, multiply the number of columns in your sheet by the number of rows. For example, a sheet with 20,000 rows can only have 25 or fewer columns, and a sheet with 400 columns can only have 1,250 or fewer rows.
- If you are working with sheets with more than 5,000 rows, you’ll have the best results in the Chrome browser.
Some Smartsheet Premium Apps and Connectors have additional restrictions to those listed here for the core Smartsheet application.
The following Smartsheet premium apps are not supported on Internet Explorer:
- Control Center (including Accelerators)
- Dynamic View
- Data Uploader
- Smartsheet for Jira Connector
- Smartsheet for Salesforce and Service Cloud Connectors
- Smartsheet for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Connector
The following features are not yet supported for sheets with more than 5000 rows, or more than 200 columns
- Groot connector
- Quip connector
- Tableau connector
- PowerBI connector
- Zapier connector
- Google Docs Merge connector
- Google Forms sync connector
- LiveData connector
- Calendar App
- Resource Management
If you use the Smartsheet API, there are rate limits in place to prevent abuse and undue stress on Smartsheet servers. For details on the API rate limitations, please see our API documentation.