Follow the step-by-step instructions to add attachments to your sheet.
Smartsheet allows you to attach and manage files directly in your sheet so you can access all of your work in one place. Files can be attached from your desktop and the most popular cloud storage providers.
Learn how to attach files to a sheet and keep all your key project information in one place, so your team can access the latest version at any time. Attach files from other services or upload files from your computer to keep large attachments out of your email inbox.
Upload an Attachment
You can attach almost any type of file to a sheet, row, comment, or workspace. You can attach files from your computer or files stored in supported third-party cloud storage services. This article discusses attaching files from your computer.
For information about attaching files from third-party cloud storage services, see Attachments from Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, Dropbox, Evernote, Egnyte & URL.
TIP: If you commonly receive attachments in email, note that you can capture those in a sheet via the Smartsheet for Gmail add-on or the Smartsheet for Outlook add-in. For more information, see these articles:
Attachments and Sharing Permissions
Anyone who has been shared the sheet or workspace (Viewer, Editor, Admin) can view and download the attachments. Everyone except Viewers will be able to add, edit, or delete attachments.
The steps you use to attach a file will depend on the type of Smartsheet item you're working with. Follow the steps for the item type you're using to open the Attachment Summary form.
NOTE: You won't be able to attach files at all if you're using an Enterprise account and your System Admin has disabled file attachment options. For more information, see "File Attachment Options" in the Global Account Settings article.
Open the sheet and click Attachments in the right sidebar of the Smartsheet window.
Click the drop-down arrow to the right of the row number and select Attachments.
NOTE: Rows containing attachments will display the attachment icon in the Attachments column.
- Click the Comments button in the right sidebar or click the dropdown arrow at the start of a row and click Comments
- In the Add comment box, type to begin a new comment.
- Click Add attachment (at the end of the Add comment box) to add an attachment to the comment.
- From Home in the left panel, open the workspace that you want to attach a file to.
- Click the Attachments button in the upper-right section of the Smartsheet window (near the Share button).
- In the Attachments Summary form that appears, click Attach and then click Upload from computer.
- The directory structure form from your computer will appear. Locate the file you want to upload and then click Open.
- To upload multiple attachments at once, press and hold down Shift or Ctrl, and then click on the file names that you want to attach.
- Drag the files from your computer's file directory to the Attachments window.
Supported File Formats and Sizes
The vast majority of file types are supported for uploading, including image, PDF, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint files. For security reasons we don’t allow you to upload file types that could pose a risk when downloaded, such as .exe, .cmd, .js, .jsp, and .bat.
The maximum size of a file that can be uploaded to a sheet will depend on your license type and how you upload the file (sheet versus form). See the following table for specifics.
|Account/License Type||Maximum File Size|
|Licensed (paid) user||250 MB|
|Unlicensed user or free collaborator||250 MB|
|Form upload: Any account/license type uploading a file through a form||30 MB|
You can upload 100 files at a time. While there isn't a limit to the total number of attachments allowed on a row or sheet, you are bound by the amount of storage space included in the sheet owner's subscription.
An account System Admin can review the storage space allowed on your plan and the amount you're currently using by clicking Account > Account Admin.
NOTE: A browser that supports HTML 5 is required to upload files larger than 30 MB. For more information about supported browser types and versions, please see System Requirements for Using Smartsheet.