Once approved, Smartsheet Control Center easily provisions and configures an entire new project from a central console.
Smartsheet Control Center: Create a Project
Control Center helps you quickly kick off new projects. You can reuse templates to create the same sheets, reports, and dashboards. The templates are gathered in a blueprint; the blueprint determines which items, exactly, Control Center will create for your project. All your projects are gathered into a program. A Control Center lead configures the program, then a project creator kicks off the individual projects.
This article covers how to create projects once Control Center is configured for your organization. For information on how to configure a Control Center program, start here.
Once Control Center has been configured, you can quickly launch robust, organized projects. Start by creating a new project in the Control Center application—which automatically creates all of the Smartsheet items you need.
Create a new project
The project builder helps select what's included in your project, what information is included by default on your sheets, reports, and dashboards, and can access the items you create. Select Next or Previous at the bottom right of each screen to navigate through the project builder.
- Log in to Control Center at controlcenter.smartsheet.com.
- Select the menu (hamburger icon) in the top right corner and then select the program you want to work with.
- Select + Create project to open the project builder.
- Select the blueprint you want to work with. The blueprint determines which templates are included in the project.
- Confirm your templates. Some items may be optional, you can include or exclude them from your project.
- From the project name dropdown at the top of the profile data screen, select the project you want to build.
- Set sharing permissions for the project. In the template sharing section, you can share individual items with users or groups and set their access level for each item. Select + Add Row to grant access to additional users.
- Select Create to build your project. When the project is ready to go, select Open in browser to go to the project workspace.
Things to know
Profile fields vary by the Blueprint you’ve selected for your project. You may need to configure:
- Selecting the project you want to create
- Selecting a particular workspace for the project
- Entering specific Profile Data (more on Profile Data here).
- If your team already has access to the workspace, you don’t need to share the project again.
- Program leads and project creators are shared by default
- Additional users and groups might appear by default if they are set in the blueprint.
You can limit access to specific templates. For example, you may want a budget template to be seen only by the financial planner on your team. To share a template with specific team members, fill in User or Group and Permissions, and then start typing the template name. The field will autocomplete with the optional template name.
Add new templates
To add optional templates to the project after it has been created, select the project you want to add templates to and then select Add New Templates.
To see the latest information about your project, select the project and then select Update Reporting at the bottom of the screen.
If cell links aren’t working as expected, click Update Reporting to reconnect items that have become disconnected or corrupted.