The sheet owner and licensed collaborators with Owner or Admin access to the sheet, can do the following with columns:
A sheet can contain up to 200 columns, 5,000 rows, or 200,000 cells (whichever limit is reached first).
The option to insert a column won't be available if you don't have a paid license and don't have sufficient permissions (Owner or Admin) on the sheet.
- Click the drop-down arrow underneath any column's header and select Insert Column Right or Insert Column Left. The Insert Column form appears.
- Type the column name in the Name column field.
- NOTE: A column name can contain up to 50 characters.
- Select from the following column types in the Select column type field:
- Contact List
- Dropdown List
- Visual Symbols (including Flag, Priority, Decision, Status, Direction and Measurement)
Check out our Support Tip in the Smartsheet Blog: Using Column Symbols
For more information on the columns listed above, review our Column Types article, and Column Types video overview.
- Click OK. The new column is inserted to the left or right of the selected column.
- After creating a column, you can change its width by double-clicking on the edge of the column header. Alternatively, click on the edge of the column header, and drag the column to the desired width. The width of the Smartsheet default columns (attachments, discussions, indicators) can't be modified.
- Apply formatting to the column to display background colors, bold/italic fonts, or to format numbers as currency or percentages (among other options).
To insert multiple columns at once:
- Highlight the number of columns you'd like to insert. (To do this, hold down the [Ctrl] (Windows) or [Cmd] (Mac) key on your keyboard as you single-click column headers one by one to highlight them.)
- Click the drop-down arrow under any of the highlighted column headers and select Insert x Columns Left or Insert x Columns Right.
All inserted columns will be assigned a default name (for example, Column12) and the text/number column type. You can change this by double-clicking a column's header or by clicking the drop-down arrow underneath a column's header and selecting Edit Column Properties.
TIP: Press [Ctrl] + [Space Bar] (Windows) or [Cmd] + [Space Bar] (Mac) to select the entire column of your active or selected cells. This makes it easy to delete or copy all column content at once.
Here are two options for deleting columns:
Delete a Single Column: Click the drop-down arrow underneath a column's header and select Delete Column. The column and any data in the column is deleted.
- Delete Multiple Columns at Once: Hold down the [Ctrl] key as you click on up to five column headers to delete them all at once.
TIP: To clear the content from a column without deleting it, first click on the column's header to select it (or select multiple columns as described above) and then press the [Backspace] or [Delete] key on your keyboard.
NOTE: You can undo a delete or clear column action as long as you undo it before you save.
Smartsheet default columns (attachments, discussions, and row actions) can't be deleted but they can be hidden by clicking the drop-down arrow underneath the column's header.
A column name can contain up to 50 characters.
- Click the drop-down arrow underneath the column's header and select Rename Column. The Column Properties form appears.
TIP: Alternately, you can double-click the column header to bring up this form.
- Rename the column header in the Name column field, and then click OK.