The sheet owner and licensed collaborators with Owner or Admin access to the sheet, can do the following with columns:
A sheet can contain up to 400 columns, 20,000 rows, or 500,000 cells (whichever limit is reached first).
- Click the drop-down arrow under any column header and select Insert Column Right or Insert Column Left.
The Insert Column form appears.
- Type the column name in the Name column field.
A column name can contain up to 50 characters.
- Select from the following column types in the Select column type field:
- Contact List
- Dropdown List
- Visual Symbols (including Flag, Priority, Decision, Status, Direction and Measurement)
- Click OK.
The new column is inserted to the left or right of the selected column.
After creating a column, you can change its width by double-clicking on the edge of the column header.
The width of the default columns (attachments, discussions, indicators) can't be modified.
To insert multiple columns at once:
- Highlight the number of columns you'd like to insert. (To do this, hold down the Ctrl (Windows) or Cmd (Mac) key on your keyboard as you single-click column headers one by one to highlight them.)
- Click the drop-down arrow under any of the highlighted column headers and select Insert x Columns Left or Insert x Columns Right.
All inserted columns will be assigned a default name (for example, Column12) and be given the text/number column type. You can change this by double-clicking the column header.
Press Ctrl + Spacebar (Windows) or Cmd + Spacebar (Mac) to select the entire column of your active or selected cells. This makes it easy to delete or copy all column content at once.
Delete a column
Default columns (attachments, discussions, and row actions) can't be deleted but they can be hidden by clicking the drop-down arrow under the column's header.
Here are two options for deleting columns:
Delete a Single Column: Click the drop-down arrow under the column header and select Delete Column. The column and any data in the column is deleted.
- Delete Multiple Columns at Once: Hold down the Ctrl]key as you click on up to five column headers to delete them all at once.
You can undo a delete or clear column action as long as you undo it before you save.
To clear the content from a column without deleting it, first click on the column header to select it (or select multiple columns as described above) and then press the Backspace or Delete key on your keyboard.
Rename a Column
If you're including this column in any reports, changing the name of the column will exclude it from those reports. You'll need to replace the column in your report criteria. More information on this is available in Troubleshoot Issues With Reports.
- Click the drop-down arrow under the column's header and select Rename Column. The Column Properties form appears.
You can also double-click the column header to open this form.
- Rename the column header in the Name column field, and then click OK.