Column types help you control what data is allowed in columns—use specific types to ensure more consistent data entry. You can also add a column description to provide more information about your column.
For information about the different column types in Smartsheet, see Column Type Reference.
Change a column type
- Click the dropdown arrow under the column header and select Edit Column Properties.
- Even when a column property is set, it's possible to type text into a cell (one exception is read-only System columns).
- If you’re the sheet Owner or are shared to the sheet with Admin-level permissions, you can prevent others from adding free text by checking the Restrict to checkbox when you edit column properties or create a new column. See Control Data Entry and Allow Only Specific Values in a Column for more information.
- Project settings columns (Date/Time, Duration, or Predecessors) are not editable.
Explain important information about a column in a custom tooltip. Access the information by hovering over the icon below the column header. Use a column description, for example, to document how you want a particular column used and what type of data you expect the column to contain.
- You must be the sheet Owner or shared with Admin-level permissions to add or edit a column description.
- The column description has a limit of up to 250 characters (this limit may vary depending on the language or character type you use).
- Column descriptions are visible only in sheets—they cannot be viewed in reports or dashboards.
Create a column description
- Right-click a column header and select Add Column Description.
- Type your column description in the form and click OK. An Information icon appears below the column header.
That's it! Now anyone shared to the sheet can view the column description.
Edit column description information
- Right-click the column header and select Edit Column Description.
- In the Column Description window, make your desired changes and click OK.