Who can use this capability
You must be an admin on Microsoft Teams to approve the integration; anyone can install and use the Smartsheet for Teams app.
FAQ: Integrate Smartsheet with Microsoft Teams
What is supported in the Smartsheet for Teams integration?
- Send notifications from Smartsheet to a Teams channel or as direct messages.
- Search and find Smartsheet items directly from the Teams application using the messaging extension.
- Add Smartsheet items as tabs within channels in Teams.
How do Microsoft 365 admins enable the messaging extension and notifications in the Smartsheet for Teams integration?
The messaging extension does not require any additional setup. When a user adds the extension from the Teams App Store, it is automatically usable; no additional permissions are required.
What permissions are required for the messaging extension and notifications?
Read directory data:
- Channel notifications to a Team are delivered via a Smartsheet bot installed on that Team. The bot is installed when the first rule is created to deliver a Smartsheet notification to that team. Smartsheet uses Read Directory Data permission to determine if the Smartsheet bot is already present in the Team and to check the version of the installed Smartsheet.
- While creating a new rule to deliver notifications to a Teams channel, Smartsheet presents the user with a list of available Teams and Channels. The user can set up exactly which channel they would like the notification to be delivered to.
Read and write all groups: Smartsheet uses this permission to query the names of the Teams and Channels and to deliver messages within the Team.
Maintain access to data you have given it access to: For channel notification to work, even when the user setting up the rule is offline, Smartsheet needs permission to maintain data access.
Read all users full profiles: Smartsheet uses this permission to retrieve user IDs and create unique identifiers for users and organizations.
What permissions are required for Teams Tabs integration?
No permissions required for the publishing/not share option.
Permission required for sharing: ChannelMember.ReadAll is needed for sharing, which lets Smartsheet Read the members of channels and Read the members of all channels. This lets Smartsheet get the list of channel members to share the Smartsheet item with when adding it as a Tab in the Teams channel.
Please read this help article to learn how to use the Teams Tabs integration.