Interact with Smartsheet forms, sheets, reports, and dashboards without having to leave Microsoft Teams.
Publishing a Smartsheet Item to a Teams channel will make that item available to anyone in the channel. Make sure that the item you’re publishing doesn’t contain data that should not be exposed to people who have access to the channel.
Before You Begin
You need the following permissions in both applications to publish Smartsheet items to Microsoft Teams.
Smartsheet Sharing Permission Requirements
You must be the Owner or have Admin-level sharing permissions to the Smartsheet item that you want to add as a tab in a Microsoft Teams channel. (More on Smartsheet Sharing Permission Levels.)
If a Smartsheet item has already been published (from Smartsheet directly or by being added to a channel), people that are shared to the item from Smartsheet are able to add it to other Teams channels. For more information on different publishing options, such as Read Only or Editable by Anyone, check out the Publishing Smartsheet Items article.
Microsoft Teams Requirements
You must have Microsoft Teams (a part of Office 365 for Business) and have at least one channel in a team in order to add a Smartsheet item as a tab to that channel in Microsoft Teams.
Smartsheet for Microsoft Teams is compatible with both the browser and desktop versions of the Microsoft Teams application.
Publish a Smartsheet Item to a Channel
- From Microsoft Teams, select the channel you want from the left panel.
- Click the Plus icon under the name of the channel to display.
- Select Smartsheet for Teams, then click Accept to agree to the Smartsheet license agreement.
- Click Connect to Smartsheet > Allow to grant Smartsheet access to integrate with Microsoft Teams.
If prompted, sign in to your Smartsheet account.
- Locate the Smartsheet item you want in the tab, either by searching for it by name or by navigating through your Home directory, then select the item and click Save.
- Set how people in the channel can interact with the Smartsheet item by making it read only or editable by anyone. (More information on these options below.)
- If the item hasn’t yet been published from Smartsheet with the options you’ve selected, check the Publish this sheet in the selected Published Version checkbox.
- Click Save.
You’re done! Now your Smartsheet item will be available in its own tab to anyone who has subscribed to your channel. People in your channel can view and edit (if you’ve allowed editing) Smartsheet data within Microsoft Teams.
Publish Settings: Read Only or Editable by Anyone
If needed, you can modify settings, rename, or remove the tab.
- Read Only - Full Version—Anyone in the Teams channel can view, but cannot edit, the entire sheet, report, or dashboard.
- Editable by Anyone—Anyone in the Teams channel can view and edit the entire sheet. (This option isn’t available for reports or dashboards.)
There isn't a way to use the current user filter criteria in a sheet added to a Microsoft Teams channel. See Using Filters to Show or Hide Sheet Data for details on filters.
More publish settings:
- Check the box for View sheet in full screen to see more of the Smartsheet item in the tab and hide your custom branding. More information on custom branding of Smartsheet items can be found in the Brand Smartsheet With Your Colors & Logo article.
- If you want to prevent a message from being sent to the channel about the new tab, uncheck the Post to the channel about this tab checkbox.