Who can use this capability
Backups are available on Enterprise and Business plans.
To request a sheet backup, you need viewer permissions or higher.
To request a one-time workspace backup, you must have viewer permissions or higher.
To request recurring workspace backups, you must be the workspace owner or admin.
Download a recent backup
- On the left Navigation Bar, select Browse.
- Right-click the sheets folder or workspace name in the left panel, then select Request Backup or Schedule Recurring Backup.
- Select View Recent Backups.
- In the Recent Backups of Sheets window, select Download Backup to begin the download.
Things to know about downloading backups
- Backups are available for download for four weeks following the backup date. After four weeks, the links to the backups will become unavailable.
- Sheet formatting is not included in the backup file; for example, you may lose text wrapping. You may want to reformat your data in Excel before importing it back into Smartsheet.
- If your sheet includes hierarchy (indenting or outdenting to create subtasks), the rows will be similarly grouped in outline format in the exported Excel file. Click the + (plus icon) to the left of the row numbers in Excel to expand any collapsed rows to reveal their subtasks.For more information about using hierarchy in Smartsheet, see Hierarchy: Indenting & Outdenting Rows.