Who can use this capability
To request a sheet or workspace backup, you need Viewer permissions or higher.
To request recurring workspace backups, you must be the workspace Owner or Admin.
Download a recent backup
Backups include sheet data, comments, and attachments. They keep your data secure.
- On the left Navigation Bar, select Browse.
- Right-click the sheets folder or workspace name in the left panel, then select Request Backup or Schedule Recurring Backup.
- Select View Recent Backups.
- In the Recent Backups of Sheets window, select Download Backup.
- Backups don't include reports, dashboards, formulas, workflows, cross-sheet references, formatting information, or custom configurations.
- Workspace backups include sheet data from the workspace, not the structure of the workspace.
- Restoring your solution will require rebuilding each Smartsheet asset.
Things to know about downloading backups
- Backups are available for download for four weeks following the backup date. After four weeks, the links to the backups become unavailable.
- Sheet formatting isn't included in the backup file. For example, you may lose text wrapping. You can reformat your data in a spreadsheet program before importing it into Smartsheet.
- If your sheet includes hierarchy (indenting or outdenting to create subtasks), the rows are similarly grouped in outline format in the exported Excel file. Select the + icon to the left of the row numbers in Excel to expand any collapsed rows to reveal their subtasks.