Who can use this capability
You must be a licensed Smartsheet user with Owner, Admin, or Editor-level permission on the sheet to create workflows. Users with Editor-level permissions can only create, edit, or delete alerts or reminders with themselves as the recipient. Learn about workflow permissions.
To use a workflow to automatically generate documents, at least one member of your team must have a DocuSign license.
Build a workflow to automatically generate documents
Automatically generate documents based on specific conditions. Use this capability to generate purchase orders, patient intake forms, contracts, or other documents that are standard in your work processes.
Before you set up automatic document generation, you need a fillable PDF or DocuSign mapping. Learn more about document mapping for DocuSign or for a fillable PDF.
To automatically generate documents:
- At the top of your screen, select Automation and then select New workflow from scratch…
- Set the trigger for the workflow. This might be a certain date, when a field has changes, or any other change to the row that creates a need for the associated document.
- In the Select an action block, select Generate document.
- From the Select mapping dropdown, select the mapping you want to use. If you do not have a mapping, you need to create one.
- Add the workflow conditions you want before generating the document.
- In the lower right corner, click Save. Now, Smartsheet automatically generates your document whenever the trigger and conditions occur.