You can control who can be notified about alerts or requests based on a person's relationship to your organization and whether or not they have access to the sheet that the alerts or requests originate from. You can control this both at the account and sheet level.
For more information about notifications, see Automate Your Work with Alerts and Actions.
NOTE: Account-level notification settings (see Global Account Settings) take preference over sheet-level settings.
Account-Level Alert and Action Controls
If you’re a System Admin on the account, you can set your preferred settings for who can be notified on the account-level by navigating to Account > Account Admin > Alerts Permission Settings.
For more information, see Global Account Settings.
Sheet-Level Alert and Action Controls
Assuming you’re the sheet Owner or have Admin-level sharing permissions, you can control who can receive alerts and requests on the sheet.
To change sheet-level notification settings:
- Click Alerts & Actions > Manage Alerts & Actions at the top of the sheet to display the Alerts & Actions window.
If you don't see Alerts & Actions, click the down arrow icon in the upper-right of the Smartsheet window.
- In the upper-right corner of the Alerts & Actions window, select the Settings icon.
- In the Alerts & Actions Permission window that appears, choose your desired setting for who can be notified from this sheet:
- Users shared to this sheet—Only people who can view the sheet from within Smartsheet will be notified.
- Users shared to this sheet and users in the sheet owner's account—People who are in your Smartsheet account as well as people that can view the sheet from within Smartsheet will be notified.
- Any email address and third-party integration—Anyone will be notified, even if they’re not shared to the sheet.
NOTE: If the account-level Alerts & Actions Permissions are set to Restrictive or Most Restrictive, some of these settings may be unavailable to you. If you’re unable to set your desired sheet-level alert and action settings, contact your System Admin to adjust them at the account-level.
Did you receive an alert from Smartsheet that one or more users won't receive notifications? Here are a few things that you can try:
Share the intended recipient to the sheet
If you've created an alert that is designed to go out to people who are shared to your sheet but you received an email indicating that the rule is invalid, you should consider sharing the sheet to them.
- Open the sheet and click the Share button in the upper-right. The Sheet Sharing form appears.
- In the Invite Collaborators field, type the email address of the person who you want to share to the sheet.
- Set the desired sharing permission for them. (More information on Sharing Permission Levels.)
TIP: In the Invite Details section, you can enter personal message for the person so they have more context about your sheet.
- Click the Share Sheet button.
Once the user is shared to the sheet, they will begin receiving alerts & actions.
Change your settings to be less restrictive
If you've created an alert that is designed to go out to people who aren't shared to your sheet, you may need to edit your alert & action settings to be less restrictive.
- Open the sheet and click Alerts & Actions > Manage Alerts & Actions.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper right corner of the Alerts & Actions window.
- Choose a less restrictive setting (for example, anyone with an email address).
Edit your notification recipient list
This can happen if you've removed someone from being shared to the sheet and still want them to receive alerts or if you've saved a copy of a sheet with alerts that are configured to go out to specific people.
- Open the sheet and click Alerts & Actions > Manage Alerts & Actions
- Double click the rule (it will have a message in red text to indicate that a recipient has been removed).
- Modify its recipient list from the workflow builder as needed.
Confirm whitelisted email addresses
Check with the System Admin on your account to ensure all the appropriate email addresses are whitelisted for your organization.
You can find the email address of your System Admin in Smartsheet by clicking on your profile icon in the upper-right corner of your screen and selecting Account Admin.