You can insert images directly into cells in your sheets. Images in the grid can be useful for many types of sheets, including team contact lists, manufacturer parts lists, and real estate lists.
From Grid View or Gantt View you can do the following:
For information about working with images in Card View, see Card View: Creating, Editing, and Sharing Cards.
Insert an image in a cell
The easiest way to include an image in a cell is to use keyboard commands to copy it from your computer (Ctrl + C, or Cmd + C on a Mac) and then paste it into the desired cell (Ctrl + V, or Cmd + V on a Mac). (This method works only in Chrome or Firefox Internet browsers).
If this copy and paste method doesn't work for you, follow these steps:
- Select the cell you want to place your image in.
- Click the Insert Image button on the left toolbar.
- Choose one of the following:
- Upload from computer: Locate the image that you want to appear in the cell, click it, and click Open.
- Click Google Drive, Box, or Dropbox. Select the image to display it in the cell.
NOTE: You may be required to sign in to or sign up for the service if you haven't done so before. For additional information about using Smartsheet with other cloud storage services, see third-party storage options.
After placing an image in a cell, any text that previously existed in the cell will become the alt text that appears when you hover over the image. If there is no text in the cell, the image name will become the alt text.
Remove an image from a cell
- Right-click in the cell that contains the image.
- Click Clear Contents.
To zoom in to the image, to change the alt text for the image, or to download the image, double-click the image. The zoom view window appears.
As you work with images to your sheet, keep the following in mind:
- The maximum file size for images is 30MB.
- Compatible file formats include:
- PNG—All PNGs are supported.
- GIF—Animated GIFs can be uploaded, but they will not play in the grid. The initial frame will be used as the preview. The animation will play after you double-click the image in the grid.
- JPG—JPGs in the RGB color space are supported (this includes your camera phone photos). Images in a CMYK color space targeted for print are not supported at this time.
- There can only be one image per cell. If you insert a new image, the previous image will be replaced.
- Cell history won’t show the image, but will show the alt text associated with the image, such as: Image: house.jpg. (Find out more on the cell history feature here.)
- Images will expand as the column is expanded. However, an image will never scale to larger than its original size. Also, the image won’t expand past 1000 pixels in height.
- Images will be in a separate folder when downloading a backup (once unzipped). Check out our Help Center article on Backing Up for details.
- Images won’t be included in exports to Excel, MS Project, or Google Sheets. Instead, the alt text will appear in the cell. (Details on exporting can be found here.)
- If you print to PDF, the first 100 images will be included in the PDF. (More printing can be found in our Help Center article on Printing from Smartsheet.)
- Images are view-only in Update Request and Edit Row forms.
- The Copy/Paste method for adding images to cells is currently supported only in Chrome and Firefox browsers; Internet Explorer, Safari, and Edge are not supported.