- number—[optional]The number of days before (negative number) or after (positive number) the current date
Smartsheet will update all instances of the TODAY function in a sheet to the current date when any of the following actions are taken:
- You open the sheet and save it
- You add a new row to the sheet from a form submission
- You make changes to the sheet from an update or approval request (more on these alerts here)
- You update the sheet by way of a report (more on reports here)
- A linked cell updates the sheet (more on cell linking here)
- You open the sheet being referenced in a cross-sheet formula (more on cross sheet formulas here)
The following will not update formulas that are using the TODAY function to the current date:
- A report looking at the function in the sheet is opened.
- A dashboard showing information from the sheet is opened.
You can use TODAY to compare other dates with the current date. For example, the formula =IF(TODAY() > [Due Date]1, “Past Due”) will insert “Past Due” into a cell once the current date has exceeded the estimated due date.
This example references the following sheet information:
|Transaction Total||Units Sold||In Stock?||Sold Date||Order Date|
Given the table above, here are some examples of using TODAY in a sheet:
|=SUMIF([Sold Date]:[Sold Date], <=TODAY(), [Transaction Total]:[Transaction Total])||Sums the values in the Transaction Total column, for rows where the date in the Sold Date column is less than or equal to today’s date. All three rows meet the criteria.||4.285|
|=IF(AND([In Stock?]2 = false, [Order Date]2 <= TODAY(7)), "Red", "Green")||If the check box in row 2 of the In Stock? column is cleared (false) and the date in row 2 of the Order Date column is less than or equal to the date 7 days from today, the function returns Red. Otherwise, it returns Green.||Red|
|=SUMIFS([Units Sold]:[Units Sold], [Sold Date]:[Sold Date], >=TODAY(-30), [In Stock?]:[In Stock?], true)||Sums the values in the Units Sold column, for rows where the date in the Sold Date column is greater than or equal to the date 30 days ago, and the checkbox in the In Stock? column is selected (true).||217|
Still need help?
Use the Smartsheet Formula Template to view examples and practice working with functions in real-time.
Find examples of how other Smartsheet customers use this function or ask about your specific use case in the Smartsheet online Community.