- number—[optional]The number of days before (negative number) or after (positive number) the current date.
Smartsheet will update all instances of the TODAY function in a sheet to the current date when any of the following actions are taken:
- You open the sheet and save it
- You add a new row to the sheet from a form submission
- You make changes to the sheet from an update or approval request (more on these alerts here)
- You update the sheet by way of a report (more on reports here)
- A linked cell updates the sheet (more on cell linking here)
- You open the sheet being referenced in a cross-sheet formula (more on cross sheet formulas here)
The following will not update formulas that are using the TODAY function to the current date:
- A report looking at the function in the sheet is opened.
- A dashboard showing information from the sheet is opened.
You can use TODAY to compare other dates with the current date. For example, the formula =IF(TODAY() > [Due Date]1, “Past Due”) will insert “Past Due” into a cell once the current date has exceeded the estimated due date.
This example references the following sheet information:
|Transaction Total||Units Sold||In Stock?||Sold Date||Order Date|
Given the table above, here are some examples of using TODAY in a sheet:
|=SUMIF([Sold Date]:[Sold Date], <=TODAY(), [Transaction Total]:[Transaction Total])||SUM the values in the “Transaction Total” column, for rows where the date in the “Sold Date” column is less than or equal to Today’s date. All 4 rows meet the criteria.||4.285|
|=IF(AND([In Stock?]2 = false, [Order Date]2 <= TODAY(7)), "Red", "Green")||If the checkbox in the “In Stock?” column for row 2 is unchecked (false) and the date in the “Order Date” column for row 2 is less than or equal to the date 7 days from Today, return “Red”, if not return “Green”.||Red|
|=SUMIFS([Units Sold]:[Units Sold], [Sold Date]:[Sold Date], >=TODAY(-30), [In Stock?]:[In Stock?], true)||SUM the values in the “Units Sold” column, for rows where the date in the “Sold Date” column is greater than or equal to the date 30 days ago, and the checkbox in the “In Stock?” column is checked (true).||217|