A notification in Smartsheet is a type of alert that can help you and others stay informed so that you can take action.
When you set up a notification, you’ll specify criteria based on the contents of the sheet that you're working with. As people make changes to the sheet, you’ll receive an email alert that’s triggered when the conditions you’ve specified are met. For example, you could set up an alert and stay on top of tasks assigned to you or to people you manage, or you could set up an alert to receive notification when a task becomes at risk.
In this article:
- Before You Begin
- Notification Basics
- Creating Notifications
- Modifying Notifications
- Tips for Working with Notifications
- Video Demo
Anyone who is shared to a sheet can set up their own notifications for that sheet. Sheet Owners and people with Admin-level sharing permissions to a sheet can set up notifications for themselves and others. In order for others to receive notifications for a sheet, you must ensure that those people are shared to the sheet. For more information about sharing sheets, see the Sharing Sheets article.
As you're getting up to speed with notifications, you may want to create some notification rules and then make changes to a sheet to see the resulting notification. When you do this, you should be aware that receiving notifications for changes that you make is a setting that you control.
To control whether you receive notification about changes that you make to sheets:
- Click Account > Personal Settings, and click Settings in the left panel.
- Under Communication Preferences check or uncheck the Include my changes in sheet notifications checkbox.
Notifications can range from the general to the specific. For example, you can be notified any time anything changes in a sheet. Or, you can create specific criteria and receive notification only when particular aspects of your sheet change—for example, when tasks are assigned to you and are given a status of Urgent.
The following example shows a notification with specific criteria.
To see what a notification looks like when it’s delivered to someone’s inbox, watch the video demo at the end of this article.
As you build and modify notifications, you’ll see different criteria options depending on the notification type you are working with.
To create a new notification:
- Click the Alerts tab at the bottom of the sheet.
- In the left panel, select Notifications.
- Click New Notification and select one of the available notification types.
The New Notification form will be displayed.
- Select the criteria that you want to include in your notification.
TIP: Give the notification a name to make it easier to find later in the event that you want to modify it.
- To customize the email message included with the notification, click the Customize Email link.
This optional step allows you to customize the subject line and content of the email message that will be sent.
To change which columns are included in the message, click Edit.
- Click Save to save the notification rule.
You can modify any notification that you created. The sheet Owner and anyone shared to the sheet with Admin-level permissions can modify notifications that others have created.
To change an existing notification:
- Click the Alerts tab at the bottom of the sheet.
- In the left panel, select Notifications, and locate the notification that you want to modify.
- Click the arrow in the upper-right corner of the notification rule, and then choose the desired command.
|Use this command||To do this|
|Disable||Temporarily turn off a notification. (Use this command if you may want to use the notification in the future.)|
|Edit||Rename or change the criteria for an existing notification. |
You can also use this command to access the Customize Email link so that you can make changes to the subject, body, or columns included with the notification email.
|Clone||Create a copy of an existing notification.|
|Unsubscribe||Stop receiving a notification.|
TIP: You can also unsubscribe directly from the notification email by clicking the Unsubscribe link next to the “Don't want to receive this notification?” text at the bottom of the message.
|Delete||Delete the notification completely. (Note that this action cannot be undone.)|
As you’re working with notifications, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Notifications are set at the sheet level only (that is, they can’t be set for specific rows).
- The number of notifications rules that you can create in a sheet will depend on your plan type. For more information, please see the "Plan Features" section of the Smartsheet Pricing page.
- The time zone used for a notification is based on the sheet Owner’s time zone as specified in their Personal Settings. (For more information, see Adjusting Personal Settings.)
- You cannot control the time of day that a notification is sent. With the exception of changes that you want to be notified of right away (which are sent right away), notification email messages are sent between 12:00 AM and 4:00 AM according to the sheet Owner’s time zone. (Weekly notifications are sent every Friday between 12:00 AM and 4:00 AM.)