When there is a transition of responsibilities in your organization, you may need to transfer or take ownership of a workspace.
What Is a Workspace?
Use a workspace to streamline the process of organizing and sharing multiple Smartsheet items (sheets, reports, dashboards). Workspaces are similar to folders, but allow you to quickly share all of their contents with someone—although you can also selectively share individual items as needed. Details on workspaces can be found in the Workspaces Overview article.
Before you can successfully take or transfer ownership of a workspace, you must first make sure that the new workspace owner (whether that’s you or someone else) is shared to the workspace and owns all of the items in it:
- Sharing: Make sure the new owner is shared to the workspace with Admin-level permissions. (See Workspace Sharing for instructions on how to share the workspace.
- Workspace items: Transfer ownership of all items in that workspace to the new owner. There are two ways to do this:
- Bulk transfer—This option is available only to System Admins—details on the process are available in Change Ownership of a Sheet, Report, or Dashboard.
- Item-by-item transfer—This option is great if there are a small number of items in the workspace, or a System Admin isn’t able to be involved in the transfer process. Details on that process are available here.
- Templates: Make sure that all template ownership is transferred to the new owner. Template ownership can only be transferred by having the new owner click-and-drag them out of the workspace and into their personal Sheets folder. Details on moving templates out of a workspace are available here.
The transfer process involves first sharing all Smartsheet items to the new owner, and removing the current owner from sharing on the workspace (if needed, they can be shared back to the workspace).
To transfer or take ownership:
- Make sure the new owner (whether that’s you or someone else) is both shared to the workspace with Admin-level permissions and has assumed ownership of all items in the workspace—as detailed in the Before You Begin section above.
NOTE: If there are any templates in the workspace, have the new owner navigate to Home, then click-and-drag each template out of the workspace and into their personal Sheets folder. (They can move the templates back into the workspace after assuming ownership of it.) Details on moving templates out of a workspace are available here.
- Have the person who is to take ownership navigate to Home in the upper-left corner of the Smartsheet window, then select the workspace in the left panel.
- Have them click the Share button in the upper-right corner of the Smartsheet window.
The Workspace Sharing form appears.
- In the form, have the new owner hover over the current owner and click the x icon that appears to the right of the current owner.
In the following example, Sammy Smart removes Sally Smart from sharing in order to become the new owner of a workspace.
You’re done! If the new owner (whether that’s you or someone else) wants the previous owner to still have access to items in the workspace, they can share them back to the workspace or specific items in it.
If the new owner had to move templates out of the workspace as a part of the ownership transfer process, they can now click-and-drag them back into the workspace from Home.
TIP: Only people in your organization can take ownership of workspaces that you own. If you need to transfer a workspace to someone in a different organization, share them to your workspace with Admin-level permissions and ask them to create a new workspace of their own. Then they can follow the steps below to change ownership of all the items and move them to the new workspace.
If you're using the item-by-item method of transferring ownership of a workspace to someone else, they'll first need to take ownership of every item in the workspace. The best method to transfer ownership is as follows:
- Locate the workspace in the left panel.
- Create a new folder in the workspace and move all of the items in the workspace into that folder.
- Have the person who is taking ownership of the workspace open Smartsheet and locate the new folder and move it into their own Sheets folder in their account.
They've just become the owner of the folder and all of the items within it!
- Go through the steps above to make them the new owner of the workspace.
- Have them drag the folder back into the workspace. They can move the contents out of the folder (and back on to the workspace level) and delete the folder.
That's it! Now they're the new owner of the workspace and all of its contents.