You'll get an error message if you attempt to add an email address that's already in use by a Smartsheet account.
<Email address> is already associated with another Smartsheet account, so it cannot be added to this account.
Each Smartsheet account is associated with one primary email address. When an email address is associated with one account, it cannot be used with another account.
You can associate additional email addresses with an account to facilitate sharing. For more information, see Change the Email Address Used with Your Smartsheet Account.
If you receive the "already associated…" error described here, you can free up the email address.
- If you’re on a Business plan you can manage email addresses via the API. Learn more here.
- If you're already on an Enterprise plan, learn how to manage your accounts through the Admin Center here.
- Upgrade your plan to Enterprise to manage bulk email domain changes, user merges, and other related tasks. Learn about upgrade options here.
To free up an email address:
This process will take a few minutes. Before you get started, you’ll need access to an email address that isn't in use with any Smartsheet account.
Part 1: Add a third email address to the account from which you want merge sheets
- Log in to Smartsheet using the email address that you were attempting to associate with an account when you received the "...can't add" error message.
- Click Account > Personal Settings > Profile and click the Manage Email Addresses link.
- From Manage Email Addresses, click Add Email Address, and add the third email address—the one that's not currently used anywhere in Smartsheet.
You’ll receive a “Please check your email inbox…” message.
Part 2: Make the third email address the primary for the account
Now, make the new email address the primary and remove the address that you want to merge with the other account.
- Open the email message with the subject “Smartsheet Account Change Request.”
- In the message, click the Confirm Email button to accept the invitation to join that email alias to the Smartsheet account.
You’ll receive a message that reads “Confirmed! The alternate email address <address> has been added to your account.”
- Click the Launch Smartsheet button to return to your account.
- In Smartsheet, click Account > Personal Settings > Profile and click the Manage Email Addresses link.
- From Manage Email Addresses, click Add Email Address, and click Make Primary to make the third address the primary address associated with the account.
- Log out of Smartsheet.
Part 3: Free up the email address that you want to use in the other account
Now that you've changed the primary address, you can remove the email address you'd like to use in the other account (the account that you were using when you received the "can't add..." error message).
- Log back into Smartsheet, using the third email address as your login.
- Click Account > Personal Settings > Profile and click Manage Email Addresses.
- Remove the email address you'd like to use in the other account. (Click the X to the right of the email address.)
- Log out and then log back into the account that you want to use the email address in (the account that you were using when you received the "can't add..." error).
- Add the desired email address (Click Account > Personal Settings > Profile and click Manage Email Addresses.)
Congratulations, that was a lot of steps. If all went well, here’s what you should see:
- The desired email address is listed in the Manage Email Addresses box of the desired account.
- All items shared to the email address that you added are available from the new (target) account.
If you want to transfer ownership of items in the old account so that they’re owned by the email address that you added, see these articles:
If you still need help, contact our Support team.