Document Builder: Generate Documents with Your Row Data
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
Who can use this capability?
The Owner, Admins, and Editors can attach generated documents to rows in the sheet. Anyone with access to the sheet can generate documents and download the documents to their device. A license is required.
Business, Enterprise, and Premier
Use the document builder to rapidly generate custom versions of a fillable PDF using row data in your sheet. You can then download the custom documents or attach them to your sheet.
Before you begin
To generate documents, you’ll need a mapping already created on the sheet. See Document Builder: Map Columns to Your Fillable PDF for more information about creating mappings.
You can use an existing mapping at any time to generate custom documents with your row data. To do this:
- Select the rows that have the data you wish to generate documents with. To quickly highlight multiple consecutive rows, select the first row, hold down the Shift key, then select the bottom row. You can choose multiple nonconsecutive rows by holding the Ctrl key (Windows) or Command key (Mac) while selecting the desired row numbers.
TIP: You can use filters to easily display rows that are ready for document generation. See Create a Filter to Show or Hide Data for more information.
- Right-click a highlighted row number on the left and select Generate Documents... from the row menu.
The document builder window will open in the same browser tab. Saved mappings will be displayed on the right.
- On any of the saved mappings, select the Generate dropdown list. You’ll have the option to select Download or Attach to Rows.
Any collaborator can select Download to download a .zip file that contains a PDF for each row onto their device.
Collaborators with Editor permissions or higher can select Attach to Rows to upload each PDF to its associated row in the sheet.
Each generated document will include row data based on the selected mapping. If it doesn’t appear as you expected, select the pencil icon next to the mapping to review and edit it as needed.
Keep the following in mind when generating documents
- To select additional rows from which to generate documents while in the document builder, select Back to Sheet in the upper-left corner of the builder window, then repeat the steps above to select the desired rows.
- If you generate a new document for a row using the same mapping that was used previously, the new document will be uploaded as a new version of the existing attachment. For more information, see Keep File Attachments Current Over time for information about attachment version.
- The name of the generated PDF will inherit the name of the uploaded document, not the name of mapping.
- Images in cells can also be mapped into Image fields in a PDF. Note: Images in cells mapped to a Text field in a PDF will result in filling in the image’s file name. The PDF field must be of an “Image” type in order to properly fill the image field.
- You can generate documents for up to 100 rows at a time.