With the Move row and Copy row actions, you can automatically move or copy a row to another sheet when conditions are met. Here’s an example:
- A procurement request is submitted to your sheet through a form.
- After adding details to the request, you assign this request to your IT team.
- The IT manager approves the request.
- The row containing the procurement request is automatically moved to an active IT project sheet for further action.
Who can use this capability
Owners and sheet Admins (who are also licensed users) on both the source and destination sheets can create an automated move or copy rows action. Anyone who can make edits to the sheet (either directly, through a report, or through an update or approval request) can potentially trigger an automated move or copy rows action.
All plan types
Note: If you attempt to move or copy a row from a sheet that has proofing enabled, you will receive an error stating, "To save this workflow, disable proofing on this sheet. Otherwise, select a different destination sheet." See Troubleshoot Issues with Proofing for more information.
Set up an automated Move or Copy rows action
In your source sheet:
- Create a new workflow by selecting Automation > Create a Workflow. (For more information about creating workflows, see Save Time and Work Faster With Automated Workflows.)
- Under Select an action, select Move rows.
- Under Move rows or Copy rows, choose Select a sheet.
The Select a sheet window appears.
- Choose your destination sheet, then click OK.
Now that you’ve added the Move rows or Copy rows action to your workflow, you can save it. You can also add conditions, change the workflow trigger, and make further changes to other aspects of the workflow if needed.
Move or Copy rows behavior
Keep the following in mind when moving or copying rows between sheets:
- When a row is moved, it will be deleted from the source sheet and added to the destination sheet. When copied, it will be retained in the source sheet, and it will be added to the destination sheet.
- The row will be placed at the bottom of the destination sheet and can then be manually dragged up or down to a different location.
- Any attachments or comments on the row will be moved automatically to the destination sheet.
- The history for cells in the row will still be available (right click a cell and click View Cell History, where you will see "Row was moved from another sheet").
- Any formulas in the row will be replaced with static values in the destination sheet.
- If the source sheet contains columns that the destination sheet does not, these columns will be created in the destination sheet when the row is moved or copied.
IMPORTANT: If proofing is enabled on the source sheet, Move row and Copy row workflows will not work. You will not be able to create Move or Copy row workflows, and existing Move and Copy row workflows won’t run once proofing is enabled. For more information on proofing, see Troubleshoot Issues With Proofing.