Filters show or hide information in your sheet. Use a filter, for example, to see all tasks that are due on a specific date, everything that’s currently assigned to you, or all items in a particular stage in a workflow.
Anyone can apply a filter to a sheet via the Filter menu at the top of the Smartsheet window.
In this article:
- Who Can Create and Use Filters
- Unnamed vs. Named Filters
- How to Tell Whether a Filter Is Applied to Your Sheet
- View the Amount of Filtered Content
Anyone with access to a sheet can create a filter or apply a saved filter.
Specific sharing permissions are required to do more with filters:
- To name and save a filter, you’ll need to be shared to the sheet with Editor permissions or higher.
- To share a filter so that it can be used by anyone who has access to the sheet, you'll need to be the sheet Owner or shared to the sheet as an Admin. (Note that Sharing is available with Business plans and higher. For more information about plans and pricing, please see the Pricing page.)
In Smartsheet, to filter data, you’ll work with the Unnamed Filter or with named filters. The filter you work with will depend on the sharing permissions you have to the sheet and your goals for filtering:
- Unnamed Filter: Anyone who has access to the sheet can work with the Unnamed Filter. As you’re working, the Unnamed Filter keeps track of filter conditions that you apply to a sheet. You can reuse and update the Unnamed Filter, but you can have only one Unnamed Filter at a time.
- Named Filter: Anyone with Editor or higher permissions to a sheet can name a filter to save it for later use. You can create multiple named filters. Sheet Admins and Owners can expose named filters to others so that those filters can be used by anyone who has access to the sheet.
When you apply a filter, it will impact all views in the sheet. That is, rows that you hide with a filter in Grid View will also be hidden in Card View, Calendar View, and Gantt View (for information about views in Smartsheet, see the help article Grid, Gantt, Calendar, and Card Views).
To verify whether a filter is applied to your sheet, look at the Filter menu for the filter name.
To see how many items are included in the filter over the total, hover over the filter button at the top of the Smartsheet window.