Turn your dashboards into interactive hubs—add live, actionable content for your team (Tableau charts, Smartsheet Forms, YouTube videos, and more) with the Web Content widget. For example, the Web Content widget allows you to embed a Smartsheet form, so that shared collaborators can make submissions directly from the dashboard. (More information on forms.)
The Web Content widget type is not available with the Trial or Individual version of Smartsheet. For more information about which features are included with which plan types, see the Smartsheet Pricing page.
Add Live Web Content
To add a URL or to embed code to the widget, you must have Admin-level sharing access to the dashboard. Once web content is added, you'll see it inside the dashboard in a familiar widget format. (For more information about editing dashboards, see Edit a Dashboard.)
Use the steps below to make the widget look the way you want.
|To do this||Follow these steps|
|Add a title to the widget||Check the box next to Display Title|
|Add a URL or embed code to the widget||Click Select URL and then enter the URL or embed code of the content you would like to display and click OK.|
NOTE: A System Admin can manage whether or not the widget is enabled for everyone on the account (See Manage Global Account Settings for more information on features that can be changed for a multi-user account).
To manage this setting, select Account icon (upper-left corner) > Account Admin, and then click Account Settings on the left panel of the Account Administration form. The Web Content widget is listed under Feature Enablement.
Embed a Smartsheet Form
Use the Web Content widget to allow others to make submissions from a related form without having to leave the dashboard.
To embed a form:
- Open the sheet that has the form you want to embed in your dashboard.
- Click Forms > Manage Forms.
- Copy the URL link to the form.
- Navigate to your dashboard and select Edit > Add Widget > Web Content.
- Paste the link into the Web Content field.
TIP: Set your form to refresh after submission so that people can use the form to submit multiple items. For more information about how to do this, see "Control Form Display and Submission Options" in Collect Information with a Form.
Here's a list of approved domains for embedding content from the Web:
- 10,000ft by Smartsheet
- Adobe XD Creative Cloud
- Bing Maps
- Google Docs
- Google Maps
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- Microsoft Excel Online (Office 365)
- Microsoft Power BI
- Microsoft PowerPoint Online (Office 365)
- Microsoft Word Online (Office 365)
- Smartsheet Calendar App (learn more about the Calendar App)
- Smartsheet Dynamic View
- Smartsheet Forms
- Smartsheet Published Sheets
- Tableau Online (note that Tableau Public links aren't supported)
To learn more about embedding specific URLs in a Web Content widget, see Embed Content From Various Sources in a Dashboard.
System administrators on Enterprise accounts can allow specific company domains as supported sources for the web content widget. An example of a company domain would be an internal Tableau server that is accessed through a vanity URL (ex: smartsheet.tableau.com, O365.smartsheet.com, etc.). System administrators can define the list of support domains, and enable or disable the feature, on the Domain Settings page.
Step 1: Feature Enablement
- In Smartsheet, click your Profile Icon (upper-right corner).
- Click Account Administration > Account Settings > Feature Enablement.
- Under Web Content Widget, check the box for Enabled, including domains that have been verified in Security Controls.
Step 2: Domain Validation
- Navigate to Account Administration > Security Controls.
- Click Edit on the Domains (for User Auto Provisioning, Web Content Widget) setting.
- Click Add Domain.
- Type your company domain to be validated.
Once validated, people on your Enterprise account will be able to embed content from this domain, if the domain offers an iFrame. For more on domain validation, see this article.
With this setting enabled, people in your Enterprise account can attempt to embed content from domains that have been validated—not all domains are guaranteed to work even after validated. Domains must also conform to the following standards:
- Must be a secure (https) domain
- The domain must be embed optimized (can’t use <script> tags)
Web Content Behavior in the Smartsheet Mobile App
Aside from videos from YouTube and Vimeo, embeddable content is not viewable from the Smartsheet mobile app, but it is accessible as a link.
The Web Content widget appears on the mobile app as an icon or logo for identified content providers. Unidentified content providers appear as a link icon with a URL of the content below.
To access the information, tap the widget to open the linked content in an external browser or app, if installed.