Use a System column to quickly see:
- Who created a row
- Who last modified a row
- The time the row was created
- The last time the row was modified
As rows are added to or modified in your sheet, row contents will be automatically populated or updated in the System column.
Who Can Create a System Column
Note that you must have a license and be either the sheet Owner or be shared to the sheet with Admin-level sharing permissions to insert a column (this includes System columns).
IMPORTANT: If you change an existing column type to a System column, any existing cell data in the column will be overwritten.
To create a System column:
- Click the drop-down arrow under any column header and select Insert Column Right or Insert Column Left.
The Insert Column form appears.
- Select Auto-Number/System as the column type.
The Insert Column form updates to show you available auto-number and System columns.
- Under System-generated column, select a column type. (See "System Column Type Definitions" below if you're not sure which one to use.)
NOTE: You can use one of each type of System column per sheet.
Click OK to insert the column to the sheet.
Note that the column will be empty until you click Save.
System Column Type Definitions
Auto-Number: Assigns an automatically incremented alpha-numeric value to each row in the sheet. Learn more in the Auto-Numbering article.
Modified (Date): Lists the date and timestamp of the last data change made to the row. Changes made to the discussions, attachments, or formatting (font color, background color, etc) are not logged in the column.
Modified By: Lists the email address of the collaborator who last made a data change to the row. Changes made to the discussions, attachments, or formatting are not logged in the column.
Created (Date): Lists the date and timestamp of the row's creation.
Created By: Lists the email address of the collaborator who created the row.
- The timestamp in the Modified (Date) and Created (Date) system column is based on your selected Time Zone in the Personal Settings of your Smartsheet account.
- System column values are read-only for all collaborators, but you can apply formatting (for example, background and font colors) to them manually or by creating Conditional Formatting rules.
- By default, the column name will be set to the type of column you select; you can edit this as desired.