Create a DataTable
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
Who can use this capability
You must be an admin or owner of the sheet to access DataTable.
DataTable is a way Smartsheet can store millions of rows of data and sync subsets of that data into sheets. Once your DataTable is created and populated with data, you can connect the DataTable to a sheet (or multiple sheets) and use Smartsheet capabilities to work with your data.
- On the left navigation bar, select Browse > DataTables.
- On the top right corner of the DataTables screen, select Create, then select From scratch or From OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, or Smartsheet attachment.
- Follow the instructions on your screen.
You can add fields to your DataTable. DataTable supports text, number, date, and checkbox fields. Fields in DataTable work very much like columns in a sheet. You can enter whatever type of data you want but the type will determine how you can search across the data. For example, if you want to search based on dates, your field will need to be of type date.
- Fill out the Create fields for your table form and then click Next. Enter a name for the field on the left and select the field type on the right.
- Select Next and review the fields. Select Back to make changes or Create to build the DataTable.