Who can use this capability
To use DataTable, the user must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be a Licensed User.
- You must have Owner or Admin permissions on any sheets where a DataTable Connection will be built.
- DataTable is a premium application available on the plan.
- You must have DataTable Premium Application permissions enabled in User Management by your Smartsheet System Admin.
To check your access level, login to DataTable here.
Visit the DataTable Marketplace page to learn how to contact your Sales representative for pricing-related inquiries
DataTable can store millions of rows of data, integrate with external systems using Data Shuttle, and sync subsets of that data into sheets.
DataTable allows you to use Smartsheet features to work with large data stores or unique custom views, applied formulas, workflows, and more on that data. And your data is always consistent and up to date.
DataTable is available as a premium offering. For information about pricing, please contact our sales team.
To use DataTable, your Smartsheet account administrator must grant you the DataTable role in Admin Center. To create a connection between a DataTable and a sheet, you must also be an admin or owner of the sheet.
- On the left navigation, select Browse and then select DataTables.
To use DataTable you must:
Get started with DataTable
You can build a DataTable from scratch, but the easiest way to create one is to upload the data via Data Shuttle.
- Create a DataTable.
- Connect a Data Shuttle workflow to DataTable to import additional data into the DataTable
- Set up connections to bring records from DataTable into a sheet.
- Manage your DataTable. (edit field settings, delete records, track and edit connections)
DataTable tips and best practices
Keep these tips in mind as you work with DataTable:
- Your imported dataset can contain no more than 2 million rows and no more than 200 fields/columns.
- If you perform lookups and updates to your data or merge in new rows, your data must contain a column with a unique identifier for each data point. The unique identifier keeps your data consistent. When creating multiple workflows into a DataTable, use the same field in each workflow for your unique identifier to prevent empty fields or duplicate rows.
- You can connect up to 100 sheets to your DataTable.
- When connecting a DataTable with a sheet via Data Shuttle, Smartsheet limitations still apply.
- Data should flow from your original source into DataTable, and down into subsets of sheets. DataTable cannot be used to sync data back from your sheet. Use Data Shuttle to offload sheet changes back to your original source, if required.
- The connection ID is a helpful piece of information if you need support. To find the ID, go to the Connection Summary screen and select the arrow icon between the DataTable and sheet names.
- Data Shuttle workflows into a DataTable have different options to those directly into a sheet. Data Shuttle workflows:
- Cannot schedule workflows to run On Attachment to a sheet
- Cannot add advanced date format options
- Cannot replace all data with a new import file
- Cannot delete rows that do not match filter criteria