Set the Current Date with Record a Date Action
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
Who can use this capability
The sheet Owner and Admins can add Record a Date action.
Use Record a date action to set the current date into the chosen field when a workflow is triggered. The timezone of the date will be based on the sheet owner’s timezone. For more information, see Adjust Your Personal Account Settings.
Get started with Record a Date Action
To create a new Record a date workflow, click on the Automation menu, then Create a Workflow. Inside the workflow editor, scroll down to the action selector and choose the Record a date action.
On the Record a date action block, choose a Date field. This action type only sets dates into date columns. You will see a message if there aren’t any date columns on the sheet.
If a Record a date workflow’s target date field is deleted or changed from date type to another column type, the workflow will be disabled, and sheet admins will receive an email notification.
- In cell history and activity log, the change will be attributed to Smartsheet Automation.
- Record a date is a terminal action. You will not be able to add conditions or actions after Record a date in your workflow.
- Dates relative to today’s date are not currently supported.
- Record a date cannot set start and end dates that are automatically calculated using predecessor or parent rollup dependencies.
- Each time a record a date workflow is triggered, it will overwrite any previously recorded date value.