Trigger Frequent, Change-Based Automations in Batches
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
In the Run workflow dropdown of the trigger block in your automated workflow, you can adjust whether a change-based workflow should run immediately, or batch up changes and deliver alerts and/or requests hourly, daily, or weekly based on the changes that took place in the given timeframe.
Keep the following in mind as you set the run behavior for your workflow:
- Set your trigger to take place an hour before the action should take place. This will ensure that technical issues don't prevent the action from taking place on time.
- Workflows set to run daily will evaluate changes to the sheet and execute between 12:00 AM and 11:59 PM in the sheet Owner’s timezone and messages will be delivered between 12:00 AM and 4:00 AM the next day.
- Weekly workflows will run between the first Friday at 12:00 AM and 11:59 PM the following Thursday, and messages will be delivered between 12:00 AM and 4:00 AM on the second Friday.
For example: a weekly alert which was created on Wednesday the 1st would fire the first time on Friday the 3rd. It would contain changes that occurred from the time the workflow was created on the 1st until 11:59 PM on Thursday the 2nd. The following week's alert would be sent on the 10th and would include changes from Friday the 3rd to Thursday the 9th.
- If multiple rows are changed when the sheet is saved within the timeframe of the selected frequency, then the workflow will run for every row that meets the trigger criteria. Recipients of this automation will receive a single notification with up to 100 rows in grid format.
- If placeholders are used in the custom messages of your automation, separate alerts will be generated for each unique custom message. Placeholders cannot be used when the Run workflow: setting is Hourly, Daily, or Weekly. See Dynamically Add Cell Data in the Subject and Body of Request Messages for more information about message placeholders.
- The following actions cannot be used with Run workflow: set to Hourly, Daily, or Weekly, Record a Date, Move Rows, Copy Rows, Lock rows, Unlock Rows, and Approval requests that contain subsequent actions.