Define Your Work With Sheet Summary
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
Who can use this capability?
The sheet Owner and Admins can add new sheet summary fields, edit field properties, and type in existing locked or unlocked fields. The sheet Owner, Admins, and Editors can type in existing, unlocked fields. A license is required to add new sheet summary fields, edit field properties, and type in existing locked or unlocked fields.
Anyone shared to the sheet can view the sheet summary.
Business, Premier, and Enterprise
Sheet summary provides a standard location to define, organize, and report on custom project, business, and summary level information. Explore the context of your sheet summary from the right panel alongside your sheet data.
Access the sheet summary
Click the Summary icon in the right panel to expand the sheet summary panel.
Summary fields provide you with space to enter various summary level information.
Create new sheet summary fields
With your sheet summary open:
- Click the Add Field button at the bottom of the sheet summary.
- Choose the appropriate field type for the information you want to display. Use the Summary Field Types table below to help with selecting the fields you want.
- Type a name for your field and select OK. A new, blank field will appear on the sheet summary.
- Make other desired changes (add new fields, edit properties, add data to a field) and click the Save button in the top toolbar of your sheet.
To preserve your changes to the sheet summary, you must save your sheet. More information can be found in the Save and Refresh Sheets article.
Now your sheet summary is all set up! You can come back to it at any time to change the structure, change summary field properties, apply formatting to summary fields, and add data to them.
Summary field types
|Text/Number||Text descriptions or numbers (for example: project summary, overall budget)|
|Contact List||Display someone from your available contacts (for example: the project manager or a point of contact)|
|Date||An important date (for example: the start or finish date of a project)|
|Dropdown List||Choose a dropdown option from a custom list (for example: department name, project type, project status)|
|Checkbox||A checkbox that can be checked or unchecked|
|Symbols||Collections of visual icons (for example: harvey balls, stars, signal bars)|
Sheet Summary maximums
Sheet Summary supports the following:
- Up to 200 fields (does not count against sheet columns)
- Field Names up to 50 characters
- Field values equal to cell sizes
- Up to 500 drop down options
Adjust formatting, field properties, and add links or images to fields
New summary fields can contain data, hyperlinks, images, and more.
To adjust the formatting in new and existing summary fields click the Menu icon next to the title of a summary field to adjust formatting and settings (for example: number and currency formatting or lock properties).