Use search to find Smartsheet items
Use the search bar at the top of Smartsheet to find sheets, reports, dashboards, or templates or content within those items (such as row data, attachments, or comments) across your account.
You can search Smartsheet items such as sheet names, report names, dashboard names, rows, attachment names, sheet summaries, conversations, folders, workspaces, and template names
To find Smartsheet items:
- On the desktop, select the search bar in the top right corner of the page. On the mobile app, select the search bar at the top of your screen.
- Enter your search terms in the search box.
- On desktop, select More Results if the item doesn't appear in the autocomplete list, or hit enter to open the global search modal.
Refine your search results
Select More Results. In the Search results window, select the down arrow for each field and check the filter boxes to refine your search results accordingly:
- Type: Smartsheet file type.
- Modified: When the file changed last.
- Current Sheet (only available when on a Sheet)
- Recommended: Default Smartsheet sort.
- Date modified : Sort by ascending or descending
Tips for using search
- For an exact match on the search term entered, wrap the term with double quotes: "search term"
- For broader results, append an asterisk to the end of the term: search term*
- To search a series of numbers where you know part of the series, use an asterisk as a wildcard.
For example, searching for 123* returns all of these:
- To find terms in a specific sheet, open the sheet and then run the search. You can refine your search to only include results in the Current Sheet.
- You can search for attachment titles and descriptions, but can't search the contents in attachments.
- To find results containing included words, type OR between multiple search terms. For example, typing John OR Smith in the search field returns John Smith, John Adams, and Alexander Smith.
- If you haven't used your account for more than six months, it can take up to 24 hours for your search results to populate. Search is faster once the first set of results appears. Contact support if your search takes more than 24 hours.
Prefix wildcard queries (for example *project) are no longer supported. If you use a prefix wildcard query, you receive results, but the prefix wildcard is ignored by the search function.