Use the search bar at the top of Smartsheet to find Smartsheet items (such as sheets, reports, dashboards, or templates) or content within those items (such as row data, attachments, or comments) across your account.
Autocomplete will display up to five Smartsheet items with a matching name in the dropdown below the search bar. You can select an item from the dropdown to open it in the current window.
If you don't see what you're looking for in the autocomplete dropdown, select More Results to open the Search form, where you can apply filters to your search, search content within your Smartsheet items, or quickly navigate to the information you need.
Search is different from Find and Replace. For more information, see Find and Replace Values within a Sheet.
To find specific Smartsheet items (sheets, reports, dashboards, and so on) or to find content within those items (comments or attachments, for example,) do the following to narrow your search:
- Under Type, select the Smartsheet item you want to search for.
- Under Modified, specify when the item changed last.
- Under Location, select a directory or workspace location.
Smartsheet will search through your account to find sheet names, row data, attachments, or comments that match your search terms and filter criteria. Search results are grouped by sheet.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you search:
- For an exact match on the search term entered, wrap the term in the search box with double quotes, like | "search term"
- To have a broader set of results based on the term entered in the search box, append a * to the end of the term, like | search term*
- To search for a series of numbers where you know part of the series, use an asterisk as a wildcard. For example, a search for 123* will return all of these:
- To find search terms within a specific sheet, open that sheet first before searching. The results will include the option to search in only the Current Sheet (you'll see this on the left side of the Search form).
- While it's possible to search for attachment titles and descriptions, you will not be able to search the contents of file attachments.
- To get more detail about row results, hover the mouse over the results. You'll be able to see the value of the primary column for that row.
- To find results that contain any of the included words: Type OR between multiple search terms. For example, typing John OR Smith in the search field will return John Smith, John Adams, and Alexander Smith.
- To find results that match a specific sequence of characters, enclose them in quotation marks. For example, type "John Smith" (including quotation marks) to find instances of John Smith where John and Smith are always together.
- If you haven't used your account for more than six months, it can take up to 24 hours for your search results to populate. This is a one-time issue; search will work as usual once the first set of results has populated. Please be patient. If more than 24 has passed and you still have no search results, contact support.