There are a few Smartsheet-Google Drive integration points available to install from the Chrome Web Store:
Smartsheet Merge: Strategically import Smartsheet data into your Google Document.
Smartsheet Sync: Store responses to Google Forms in a new sheet in Smartsheet.
Create new sheets from Google Drive: New sheets will be stored in Smartsheet, but a link will also be created in Drive so you can easily open them from there.
Before You Begin
- You must use the Chrome browser to install any Smartsheet app or add-on initially but after the install, you’ll be able to access the Google Drive-Smartsheet features in any browser. In addition, there are several integration points with Google that don't require any installation. See a full list here.
- You must use the same email address to sign in to both Google Suite and Smartsheet. If you sign in to Smartsheet under a different email address from the one that you use to access Google Suite applications, use the steps here to change the primary email address that you use for Smartsheet.
Smartsheet Sync is a Google Forms Add-on that enables you to send responses from your Google form to a new sheet in Smartsheet.
- To get started, install Smartsheet Sync from the Chrome Webstore.
- Click Add-ons at the top of your Google Form then select Smartsheet Sync > Start. The Smartsheet Sync sidebar will appear to the right.
- Click the Connect to Smartsheet button and then follow the steps to authorize access between the app and your Smartsheet account.
- Once successfully logged in, the page will update and instruct you to close the window and return to your Google form.
- You'll see that the sidebar has been updated with new options. Click Start to create a new sheet in Smartsheet with the same name as the Google form. If the form has no title the sheet will be called Google Form Responses. For each field in the form, a column with a matching name will appear in the sheet. As the form is submitted, the responses will be captured in this new sheet.
- When a sync is active, you'll see options to Pause and Unlink Smartsheet in the sidebar.
- Pause: Stops sending responses to Smartsheet but keeps the sheet connected to the add-on. Click Resume in the sidebar to continue sending form submissions to Smartsheet.
- Unlink Smartsheet: Stops sending responses to Smartsheet and disconnects the sheet from the add-on. Once Smartsheet is unlinked, starting a new sync will create a new sheet in Smartsheet.
- If you see an error that you can't use the integration because your domain has disabled third-party apps, your Google domain admin can resolve the error using these instructions on Google's support site. Reach out to the admin of your Google account and ask if they'd be willing to change the settings and allow your Google account to use third-party apps such as ours.
- Certain Google Forms fields, such as time, multi-select checkboxes, and multiple choice grids, don’t have matching column types in Smartsheet. Form responses for these fields will populate into a corresponding Text/Number column in your sheet by default, and the column type can be manually adjusted if desired.
- The Smartsheet Sync Add-on doesn’t currently support the File Upload field in Google Forms. This field will populate in Smartsheet as an encoded text value. To workaround this, use a text field in which people can paste the sharing link to a file stored in a cloud storage location, such as Google Drive
Use the instructions on Google's Support site for uninstalling apps from Google Drive.