You can add or update task assignments using the Resource Management panel in Smartsheet.
Adding new assignments
To create a new assignment from Smartsheet with the Resource Management panel, open the panel and confirm the following is present in each row for the task you want to assign:
- Start and End dates
- Allocation %
- Valid managed user or 10,000ft placeholder in the Assigned To column.
Once all needed information is added to your sheet, you’ll see the new, unconfirmed assignments appear in the panel.
To add new assignments via the panel:
- In the pane below the assignment, select Add on a single assignment to confirm changes for a single user.
- At the top of the pane, select Update All to confirm all changes.
When you assign a row, the primary field of the row (the task name) will sync to the schedule, along with assignees, allocation, and dates in a compact visualization showing the total allocation workload for each person.
After you’ve confirmed your assignments, you can select the project name in the panel to go to your project brief.
In the panel, allocation is summed across multiple tasks. You will not see an entry for individual rows.
You can update a person's assignments or, if they have no assignments, remove them from the panel.
- Open the panel.
- Adjust the assigned user in the Assigned To column.
- Review your changes in the panel and click Add on the assignment or Update All at the top of the pane to complete commit changes to your project.
Your sheet will save automatically when you submit your changes, but you may need to refresh the Resource Management schedule to see your changes.
Remove unassigned resources
Removing unassigned people also removes duplicate tasks generated during bulk task reassignments and helps keep your project plan clean and up to date.
- To remove a resource click Remove to the right of the person's name.