Who can use this capability
You need to be a licensed user to access Smartsheet Control Center.
About dynamic report scope
Report on data across your project portfolio even when projects aren't in the same workspace. Use dynamic report scope to include or exclude specific templates in each project.
When you use dynamic report scope, it gets updated to include the specified templates in all the active projects—those already created and those you create later.
Create a dynamic report scope
Before configuring dynamic report scope, you need to create the portfolio reports you want to update. Dynamic report scope only works for existing reports. You can't create new reports with dynamic report scope.
The report should be a single, portfolio-level report across all projects. The report can't be part of a blueprint. A portfolio report could be My Tasks, Unassigned Tasks, or Engineering Tasks.
Once you’ve created your report, use the following steps to configure dynamic report scope:
- In Control Center, go to Manage Program and edit the blueprint you want to work with.
- Click through to the Blueprint Components screen and enable Dynamic report scope.
- Click through the blueprint builder to the Dynamic report scope settings page.
Use Search to find and select the report you want to change.
Select Refresh if you don’t see a newly created report.
When adding reports, keep the following in mind:
- You can add up to 50 reports. Select + Add report to add a configuration.
- Select x Remove report to remove a configuration.
- Use portfolio-level reports only. Don't use reports that are in the blueprint source folder.
- Reminder: If your report doesn’t exist, create it in the Portfolio level workspace before using dynamic report scope.
Select the template sheets that you want to include from each project.
Click through the blueprint builder to the last screen to save your changes. If you exit the blueprint builder midstream, your changes aren't saved.
Once you’ve created your dynamic report scope, your portfolio-level reports update automatically when projects are provisioned, archived, or deleted. For projects that are already provisioned before setting up a dynamic scope report, those projects are added the next time a project is provisioned, archived, or deleted.
Things to keep in mind when using dynamic scope reports:
- When you use dynamic report scope, any manual changes you made to the target reports criteria get overwritten when dynamic reports are updated.
- It can take up to two minutes for your changes to propagate through to your reports after you provision, archive, or delete a project.
- Dynamic scope reports are currently limited to 5,000 sheets per report. If your selections exceed this limit, consider using multiple reports.
- Create a unique report for each program, or the data in the report gets overwritten with data from the latest project provisioned.
Edit a dynamic report scope
You may need to adjust the included templates or add/remove reports in your dynamic report scope settings. To do this, navigate to the dynamic report scope settings in your blueprints, make your desired changes, and save those changes.
Changes are applied the next time projects are provisioned, archived, or deleted.
If the dynamic report needs to be updated to reflect the latest settings or to ensure that it includes all the latest projects, use the Update Reporting tool.
To update your reporting:
- Log in to Control Center and open the program that contains the project needing updates.
- Select the pencil icon on the far right of the project row.
- Select Update Reporting.
You can only update one project at a time.
Remove projects from dynamic report scope
As a project reaches the end of its life cycle, you may want to remove it from your reports. To do this with your dynamic scope reports, configure an option in your Archiving workflows to remove projects when they are archived.
- Create a new Archive workflow or edit an existing one.
- Click through to the Project Filters and Actions section.
- Check the box to Remove project sheet(s) from Dynamic Report.
Projects that have been deleted in Control Center are automatically removed from dynamic reports.