Who can use this capability
Licensed users with Owner or Admin permissions can add or edit dashboard widgets.
You also need Owner or Admin permissions to the report you want to use as the source.
Anyone with Viewer permissions to the dashboard can see the widget.
Control widget content when source is a report
Configure how people see the data displayed in a report widget, or a chart widget which source is a report.
You can choose one of two perspectives from which you want people to view the content:
- From the perspective of the widget editor—that is, the last person who edited the widget. What's displayed is based on that user’s permissions to see the content.
- From the perspective of the dashboard viewer (the person viewing the dashboard)—that, is the data displayed is based on the person's own sharing permissions.
Configure a report widget to display information
- Open the configuration panel for the report widget of your choice by double clicking it or selecting Edit from the context menu.
- Within the Viewer Mode section of the configurator, you may choose between Last widget editor and Their own perspective
You can use these same steps to configure a chart widget that's based on report data.
- Last Widget editor: You are the widget editor in this case. Use this option if you want people to see the data in the widget as you see it, and you want it to remain the same for all viewers, no matter who is viewing the dashboard.
If the report includes a Current User filter, the person who adds the report widget to the dashboard is treated as the current user for everyone else who views the dashboard. All viewers see tasks assigned to you, for example.
With this option, people see information that they might not otherwise have access to. That is, people will have access to the information you display in the report widget, even if they are not shared on the underlying sheets.
- Their own perspective: Use this option if you want the report to display only data that the person viewing the dashboard has access to. The person viewing the data must be shared to the sheets from which the report was created. If the Current User filter is applied to the underlying report, viewers only see rows with their name in the contact column. For more information about current user report criteria, see Creating Reports.
If you publish a dashboard with a report widget set to run as the dashboard viewer, the widget displays the following message: This widget has an advanced option applied and cannot be displayed in a published dashboard.
That’s it. The widget now shows information as you’ve specified.