Use Proofing to Collaborate on Content
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
Who can use this capability?
The Owner and Admins can enable proofing on a sheet. The Owner, Admins and Editors can add a proof for review.
Note that any user type (including free users) can review and provide feedback on a proof, however a license is required to upload proofs and request feedback. For more information about user types in Smartsheet, see Account-Level User Types for Multi-User Plans.
Business and Enterprise
With Smartsheet proofs, you and your team can quickly review and approve a variety of content. Use the simple, streamlined proofing process to upload file images, videos, PDFs, and Microsoft Office documents, control file versions, request and collect annotated feedback, and get approvals from stakeholders.
With Proofing, you can add proofs for review.
- From the row where you want to add the proof, click the Add a proof icon in the Proofs column to display the Proofs panel.
The Proofs panel will open with the Upload File panel available.
- Click Upload File to locate and upload the file that you want to proof (or, if you know where the file is, drag it directly to the panel).
You can now begin collaborating on the proof.
You can create only one proof per row, using any one of the file types in the table below.
Supported File Types
jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, gif
Full support for previewing and annotating a single image or multiple images directly in the proof.
mp4, avi, mov
Full support for previewing and annotating a single video in the proof.
Full support for previewing and annotating a single PDF in the proof.
doc, docx, dot, rtf, xls, xlt, xlsx, xltx, ppt, pot, pps, pptx, potx, ppsx
Full support for previewing and annotating a single document in the proof.
Anything attached to a Smartsheet item
Any file type that can be attached to a Smartsheet item.
You cannot preview or annotate the content directly in the proof.
However, you can request feedback, leave comments, approve or require changes, manage versions, and mark the proof as complete.
TIP: Use proofs for work-in-progress files that require review, and use attachments to upload completed files.
- The Smartsheet extension for Adobe Creative Cloud does not yet support multi-image upload in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- To upload a new version of a file, click Version in the upper-right portion of the panel. For more information about creating versions for proofing, see theCollaborate on a proof
Once a proof is available in the Proofing panel, collaboration can begin. How you choose to collaborate will depend on whether reviewers have access to your sheet and whether you need approval decisions from them.
Request review and approval
You can invite anyone with a valid email address to review your proof (including unlicensed users or people outside of your organization).
To request feedback:
- Select the proof that you want others to review and select Request Feedback at the top of the Proofing panel.
- In the Send proof for review window that appears, type the names or email addresses of the people that you want to review your proof.
- Verify that the information in the Subject and Message boxes convey the information that you want your reviewers to have.
- Click Send.
The people you ask for feedback will receive a review request that links directly to an external review page. When these recipients click on the request, they will be taken to a review page outside of Smartsheet. For more information about how to review a proof sent in a review request, see: Respond to a Proofing Request.
You cannot request reviews of proofs whose rows are locked. For more information on Lock and Unlock capabilities, see Lock or Unlock Columns and Rows.
Collect feedback without approvals
If you want more informal feedback from people with access to your sheet, you can @mention them in a comment in your proof. They will not be able to approve or require changes unless you have also sent them a review request.
If you @mention someone who isn't shared to the sheet—and you are the Owner, an Admin, or shared with Editor - Can Share permissions—you'll be prompted to share the sheet and give them appropriate permissions so that they can have access to the comment. For more information, see Sharing Permission Levels.)
When you make changes to a file that’s in a proof (likely based on the feedback you received as part of the review process), you can upload the revised version to keep your proof up to date.
To upload a new version of a file to a proof:
- Click Version at the top of the right section of the Proofing pane.
- Select Create New Version.
- Click the Upload File button that appears in the left section of the Proofing pane.
- Select the file from your computer and upload (or drag the file to the upload section of the panel).
That’s it! The new file is now uploaded as the current version of your proof. The Version indicator will now show that multiple versions of the proof exist. All previous versions will be locked.
Here are some things to keep in mind about proof versions:
- Locked versions can be viewed, but can no longer be annotated or commented on.
- A person shared to the sheet as an Admin (must be a licensed admin) will be able to delete comments from previous versions.
- Any user that has access to the sheet will be able to access the previous proofs in the proofing container.
- Any outside requests and outside access to previous versions will be cancelled.
- Request responses stay with the version—this includes the comments and Pending, Rejected, Approved results.
To delete a version of a proof, click the More Options icon and select Delete Latest Version.
When you delete the latest version:
- The files are removed.
- All comments on the version are deleted.
- All outstanding review requests are cancelled.
- The previous version becomes the active version and is available for review.
Complete a proof
You can mark a proof as complete in the proofing panel to make it read-only in the panel and external review page.
To set a proof to complete, you must be a licensed sheet Owner, Admin, or Editor.
When a proof is complete, no one can upload new versions, add, or edit comments. People can still review comments and download the files in each version.
The sheet Owner and Admins can delete comments in a completed proof. The sheet Owner, Admins, and Editors also have the option to set the proof back to incomplete.
To mark a proof as complete, open it in the proofing panel, and click the Completed Proof toggle button at the top of the panel.
That’s it! The proof is now complete.
NOTE: If you would like to allow commenting or additional version uploads for the proof again, click the same toggle button to set the proof back to incomplete.
If you send out a review request, but later decide to cancel it, click the More Options icon and select Cancel Review Request.
When a review request is cancelled, any responses captured in the request will be deleted and the recipients will no longer have access to the proof.