Use Proofing to Collaborate on Content
This Help Article Appears in the Following Learning Tracks
The proofing capability allows people to review and collaborate on content. With proofing, teams can upload content, request feedback from stakeholders, control versions, and get approvals in a simple, streamlined approval process. You can use proofing to:
- Leave markups and annotated comments on images and PDFs
- Review and annotate language changes needed on documents
- Give specific information around a product design mock-up
In this article:
- Enable proofing on a sheet
- Collaborate on a proof
- Create a review request
- Work with versions of proofs
- Cancel a review request
Who can use this capability
Licensed users with Owner or Admin permissions can enable the Proofing capability and upload a proof for review. Any licensed user with Owner, Admin or Editor permissions can upload a proof for review.
Note that any user type (including free users) can review and provide feedback on a proof. For more information about user types in Smartsheet, see Account-Level User Types for Multi-User Plans.
Proofing is available with Business and Enterprise plans.
To enable proofing on a sheet:
- Click the Proofing icon in the right panel to display the Proofing panel.
- At the bottom of the Proofing panel, switch Enable proofing on this sheet to on.
A Proofs column is added to the sheet (to the right of the Attachments column). You’ll use this column to upload proofs for review.
Once proofing is enabled, you’ll be able to upload proofs for review.
- From the row where you want to add the proof, click the Add a proof icon in the Proofs column to display the Proofs panel.
The Proofs panel will open with the Upload File panel available.
- Click Upload File to locate and upload the file that you want to proof (or, if you know where the file is, drag it directly to the panel).
That’s it. You're all set to begin collaborating on the proof.
- You can create only one proof per row, using any one of the following file types: .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pdf, .gif, .bmp. For image files, you can upload one or more files to a proof to be reviewed individually or as a group.
- The Smartsheet extension for Adobe Creative Cloud does not support multi-image upload in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, but is on the roadmap to support.
- To upload a new version of a file, click Version in the upper-right portion of the panel. For more information about creating versions for proofing, see the Work with versions of proofs section of this article.
Once a proof is available in the Proofing panel, collaboration can begin. How you choose to collaborate will depend on whether you want reviewers to make their comments in an external review page or whether you want people to collaborate directly in the sheet.
TIP: Click @Mention at the bottom of the panel to have conversations about the proof with others who are shared to the sheet. (If you @mention someone who isn't shared to the sheet—and you are the Owner, an Admin, or shared with Editor - Can Share permissions—you'll be prompted to share the sheet and give them appropriate permissions so that they can have access to the comment. For more information, see Sharing Permission Levels.)
Anyone with a valid email address can receive a proof review request (including unlicensed users or people outside of your organization).
To send a review request:
- Select the proof that you want others to review and select Request Feedback at the top of the Proofing panel.
- In the Send proof for review window that appears, type the names or email addresses of the people that you want to review your proof.
- Verify that the information in the Subject and Message boxes convey the information that you want your reviewers to have.
- Click Send.
The people you include in the review will receive a review request. When these recipients click on the request, they will be taken to a review page outside of Smartsheet. For more information about how to review a proof sent in a review request, see: Respond to a Proofing Request.
Note: Locked rows cannot be set up as review requests. For more information on Lock and Unlock capabilities, see Lock or Unlock Columns and Rows.
When you make changes to a proof (likely based on the feedback you received as part of the review process), you can upload the revised version so that the version you keep in Smartsheet is the most current one.
To upload a new version of a proof:
- Click Version at the top of the right section of the Proofing pane.
- Select Create New Version.
- Click the Upload File button that appears in the left section of the Proofing pane.
- Select the file from your computer and upload (or drag the file to the upload section of the panel).
That’s it! The new version is now uploaded and associated with your sheet. The Version indicator will now show that multiple versions of the proof exist. All previous versions will be locked.
Here are some things to keep in mind about proof versions:
- Locked versions can be viewed, but can no longer be annotated or commented on.
- A person shared to the sheet as an Admin (must be a licensed admin) will be able to delete comments from previous versions.
- Any user that has access to the sheet will be able to access the previous proofs in the proofing container.
- Any outside requests and outside access to previous versions will be cancelled.
- Request responses stay with the version—this includes the comments and Pending, Rejected, Approved results.
To delete a version of a proof, click the More Options icon and select Delete Latest Version.
When you delete the latest version:
- The files are removed.
- All comments on the version are deleted.
- All outstanding review requests are cancelled.
- The previous version becomes the active version and is available for review.
Complete a proof
You can mark a proof as complete in the proofing panel to make it read-only in the panel and external review page.
To set a proof to complete, you must be a licensed sheet Owner, Admin, or Editor.
When a proof is complete, no one can upload new versions, add, or edit comments. People can still review comments and download the files in each version.
NOTE: The sheet Owner and Admins can delete comments in a completed proof. The sheet Owner, Admins, and Editors also have the option to set the proof back to incomplete.
To mark a proof as complete, open it in the proofing panel, and click the Completed Proof toggle button at the top of the panel.
That’s it! The proof is now complete.
NOTE: If you would like to allow commenting or additional version uploads for the proof again, click the same toggle button to set the proof back to incomplete.
If you send out a review request, but later decide to cancel it, click the More Options icon and select Cancel Review Request.
When a review request is cancelled, any responses captured in the request will be deleted and the recipients will no longer have access to the proof.