Control Center: Managing the Primary Lead role
Each Control Center program can have only one Primary Lead. The Primary Lead owns the following key assets; these assets can have only one owner:
- Intake sheet (there may be one for each blueprint)
- Blueprint source folders (usually within a workspace)
- Summary sheets (there may be one for each blueprint)
If you change the Primary Lead you must make the new lead the owner of these assets.
When a Program Lead creates the blueprint for a project, the lead can choose whether the Smartsheet objects (sheets, workspaces, dashboards, reports) created from that blueprint will be owned by the primary lead or the project creator.
To see the Primary Lead for any program, click the program information icon for that program.
Changing the Primary Lead for a program
If the Primary Lead leaves your organization or changes roles, you may need to change the Primary Lead for Control Center.
You can avoid changing the Primary Lead if you use a dedicated service not owned by a specific individual. For example, create a Smartsheet account named "email@example.com." This way, you can transfer Primary Lead duties to another user without updating the Primary Lead account in Control Center.
Before transferring the Primary Lead role, ensure the new lead meets the following requirements. Follow the instructions carefully. If you change the Primary Lead before completing these steps, or you complete these steps out of order, you may see errors.
- Make sure your new lead is a licensed Smartsheet user.
- Add the new lead as an Additional Lead (see Give Someone Access to a Control Center Program).
- For Gov accounts only: Increase the new lead's cell limit to 100,000. Contact Smartsheet Support and request this change before you proceed to the next step.
- Have your new lead log in to Control Center.
- Transfer ownership of the configuration sheet, intake sheets, summary sheet, workspaces containing blueprint source folders, and any Smartsheet groups used to grant access to workspaces or in the allow list (if applicable).
Change the Primary Lead
Once the new lead meets the above criteria, the current lead can complete the role transfer using the below steps:
- In Control Center, select the program you want to transfer to a new Primary Lead.
- Select Manage Program, then the i icon next to the program name, then select Edit.
- Select Click to transfer and select the Additional Lead user you want to make the Primary Lead.
- Click Transfer in the new window. Control Center will check sharing permissions on Smartsheet items needed for the program. Address the permissions issues before attempting the transfer again. You'll see a confirmation message when the transfer is complete.
For assistance addressing any of these messages, contact Smartsheet Support.